Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by Cam B Sun May 19, 2013 3:37 pm
Yorkshire Region Champs today on the apparently “world famous” Penny Pot Lane Circuit. Nice weather so was an opportunity to get the knees out for the first time this season. Unless several riders had been wintering in the Algarve – there being a few tanned legs on display – the fake tan had clearly been widely used this morning…my legs, however, are like milk bottles! Lined up in the “Masters” (sounds so much better than Veterans!) with Richard and Paul. We were also joined by the women and Juniors. One the biggest circuits I have done at 11.5 miles long with the women doing 3 laps to our 5. Tough circuit and probably would be described as a hilly one. What caused me most anxiety though was the steep descent with an s-bend at the bottom. How I love the smell of burning rubber/carbon in the morning! Unless a few riders had changed into their a AG2r La Mondiale replica kits halfway round (the shorts at least) I wasn’t the only one to get a little nervous. On Lap 3 managed to slip into a little break with 4 others – including a junior. Unfortunately one of the group lost it in big way coming down the descent with his back wheel swerving alarmingly and his brakes squealing he did remarkably well to stay upright. I had a word with him later and he told me that it was fortuitous that the owner of the house halfway down the hill had obligingly left the gates open so he was able to ride into the driveway before turning round. So we lost a little bit of fire power there and got caught soon after. We stayed away for just a lap. Frustratingly never got more than 30 secs. or so on the bunch but we kept plugging away. On another day the bunch may have given us a bit more rope….so worth a go. Once the group caught us I planned to try and recover in time for the sprint but got drawn into the activity at the front as riders tried to get away on the last lap. In the end was way too far back to get involved in the final gallop. Was going past people but the truth was my legs had gone and was out of the points. I gather that a vet. and a junior did get away on the final lap though and stayed away. Richard got 8th though … so well done Richard :D
Last edited by Cam B on Tue May 21, 2013 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

by RichardD Mon May 20, 2013 9:43 am
First race around Penny Pot and glad I did a reccy the saturday before. Was a very nice dry day with no wind, and from what I saw no kamikaze riding. Very little flat on the course and as Cam said a strong smell of burning carbon brake block at one or two corners. I made it 57 miles at about 24.5 mph which seems quick for such a hilly circuit. Went with one or two attacks in the early stages but nothing stuck, and then Cam in a small group stayed away for a lap or so, but this was reeled in with just less than two to go. Felt ok going into the final lap and tried to stay near the front for the series of accelerations on Penny Pot lane and up Bland Hill. Probably was on the front too long during the last 3 miles but I wanted to avoid getting swamped before the rise to the finish. One hairy moment as my spokes rattled against someones rear derailleur in the sprint, but maganged to avoid catastrophe. Waiting for official results but got 8th according the line judge.
Felt I had earned the ice-cream on the way home, and the red recovery juice in the evening.

by mart66 Mon May 20, 2013 9:18 pm
Well done Richard. Great result.

Sounds like you both had a strong ride.

Martin

by paulM Mon May 20, 2013 11:01 pm
Having not pinned a number on my back since last September I thought I would kick start my 2013 season with the Vets Div Champs. A high quality field inc. several who had had victory or good results in the main event 20 odd years ago. Penny Pot Lane is not a favourite circuit of mine although it should be. Just one of those I never do anything on. Not really hard enough at least on a sublime sunny day like Sunday and I hate Penny Pot Lane. Different story if its blowing a gale though. Sunday was no exception and although I was in a decent position approaching the finish never really wanted to get involved at the front end. Still, good to know my mostly solo training has not been a complete waste of time as it was still a pretty quick race as previously mentioned and everyone got round in one piece. I feel sure my best is yet to come this year but good to get a decent quality race finish under my belt! Well done to Cam and Rich who were in the mix throughout the race.