Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by RichT Thu May 09, 2013 10:03 pm
I'm looking for some volunteers to help me with this race which is to be held on the Escrick circuit on 27 June with the race HQ at Skipwith Village Hall. The race starts at 7pm with sign on starting at 6pm.

I need people to do the following jobs:

3 people to Marshall on the course.
2 people to deal with sign on and collecting numbers in at the end.
4 people with cars to act as lead vehicles etc. You need to be BC members for insurance purposes and you will be reimbursed your petrol costs.

Don't worry if you've never marshalled before and are not sure what to do because everyone is in pairs so you won't be left on your own.

Post here or send me a PM if you are able to help.

by PhilBixby Fri May 10, 2013 7:15 am
I'm happy to help.

by lugster77 Fri May 17, 2013 11:33 pm
I'll stick my hand up to help out

by RichT Fri May 24, 2013 9:44 pm
Thanks to Goldgpr, Lugster and Phil for offering to help. Entries for the race are now fully booked but I'm still looking for another 6 volunteers to help on the day.

Please post here or send me a pm if you are able to help.

by dave c Sat May 25, 2013 7:08 am
Hi Rich

I can help

Dave

by RichT Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:15 pm
It's less than a fortnight to this event which is being organised by Clifton.

Thanks to those who have already agreed to take on a role. Hopefully you'll be happy to do the following:

Drivers: Phil and Goldgpr
Marshalls: Lugster77 and AndyM
Sign On: Dave C

For the event to take place I need at least 2 more drivers, 1 Marshall and 1 more person to help at sign on/at the finish line.

Please could you let me know if you would be able to help on the night. There are various British Cycling forms which need to be completed before the race so please could you let me know before Friday 21 June.

Thanks

by RichT Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:56 pm
Thanks to everyone who has offered to help out at the event. "If" the race goes ahead the following people have agreed to do the following:

Drivers: Phil, Goldgpr and Cavedapes
Marshalls: Lugster77, AndyM and craigdabrown
Sign On/help at finish line: Dave C and Mal

Unfortunately for the event to take place I need at least 1 more driver.

Given the number of Clifton riders at these events I think it's pretty embarrassing for the club that we can't manage to marshall our events and have to look to other clubs for assistance.

Unless I get a volunteer driver by midnight tomorrow, the only fair system I can think of (other than cancelling the event) is to withdraw from the race any Clifton rider who has not helped out at a British Cycling Race this year so they will be available to help. Sorry if this sounds unreasonable! If anyone has a better idea let me know.

by RichT Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:50 pm
Paul Crane will be the final Driver for the race so we now have all the people we need for the race to go ahead.

Thanks to Paul and everyone else who has offered to help out on the night.

by DamianE Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:30 pm
Anyone riding out? We can discuss tactics. Yours, not mine ;-)

by Tobzlerone Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:56 am
Obv I'm not racing but I would love to come watch today I'm up for riding out :)

by PhilBixby Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:52 am
Full marks to RichT for good solid organisation of last night's event and coping with the inevitable "issues" which crop up on the run-in to it. Alongside Gavin's fine handling of the first event in the series that's two newcomers to race organisation who've done a great job from a standing start. Next time anyone pulls that face and says "but I've never done it before..." you know what I'm going to say..... :wink:

Good to see Toby back on a bike, and well done to the Clifton riders who, from the radio messages I was getting in the lead car, were active at the front as ever!

by GrahamMartin Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:06 pm
Congratulations should also to Jon Savage, who collected our solitary point from last night. Interesting note: each of the top 3 finishers began the season as a Cat 4.

Does anyone have the stats from last night, or than "bloody fast"?

Thankfully none of our riders were brought down in the crash. I got separated from the bunch, but managed to catch a couple of riders on the run to the line. Given I'd also done an impressive dangling-off-the-back act earlier in the race, I'm not too annoyed to have arrived outside the pack. Maybe next time I could do the dangling-off-the-pack at the other end?

Thanks to the organisers.

by JohnS Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:59 pm
Thanks to Rich for a great event last night and to everyone who helped out. Really appreciate it on a wet and cold evening.

Pleased to get a point (although thought I'd managed 8th last night so slightly disappointed this morning), but at least I'm in the points. Must work harder :(

Ride of the night must go to Tim though, who spent pretty much well over half the race in a 3 man break and was cruelly caught with less than half a lap to go. Chapeau!

Average speed was 25.8 mph on my Garmin so not too shabby.

Must keep working on my sprints :)

See you all Sunday.

Best regards

John

by Cam B Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:32 pm
Yes..Well done John :D
I was involved in a couple of short-lived breaks early on. First of which was just shambolic really...Like "keystone Cops".. so that had no chance. Later on managed to bridge across to a few guys. There were a few seconds when I thought I wasn't going to make it....but just about got across :oops: . I thought that one had "legs" but it wasn't to be. Well done Tim for getting into something and staying away as long you did!

A few of us were up there in the sprint and Jacob and I just outside the the points. Tricky run in that... with lots of twists and turns. I was keen to get near the front to stay out of trouble...problem with that is that you tend to stick your nose in the wind more than you want. Botched the run in really. A couple of seasons ago I would have been over the moon with a ride like that but actually was a bit disapppointed as I felt very strong last night....Trouble is: you get a few points then that raises your expectations! Roll on the next one :)

Thanks to Rich and the crew for putting this on :D
by timj Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:56 pm
Thanks Rich and co for the race last night.As for the race itself from the off I was determined to not have the sprint teams have an easy ride to the line which is what happened last time on a flat course could easily happen. So straight from the gun I was determined to get in something and after 3 or 4 failed attempts I got across to 3 other riders one of which got dropped fairly straight away.After I stopped seeing stars the 3 of us started working and were really motoring one lad in particular was very strong.On the last of three laps we thought we had it but then the bunch came from nowhere and we got caught with a couple of miles to go.Came in out of the points but thoroughly enjoyed the race and maybe with a couple more riders we could have done it.It is good that some people can give advice out and when in a race u start to understand the advice.Well done John and especially as it was a crazy run in a point is a point and I don't think we talked about many last season.Cheers