Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by Cyan Skymoos Sun May 05, 2013 8:36 am
Is he really back on proper chainrings, I never thought I'd see the day. Maybe they are oval painted to look round from a distance :wink:

by AndyM Sun May 05, 2013 9:58 am
He's been riding round rings all year on his race bike. Interestingly though, he has still been racing wonky ones on his time trial bike - wonder if that'll be the case today in the Giro TTT.

by Cyan Skymoos Sun May 05, 2013 11:55 am
That's interesting Andy, I didn't know that, I just noticed yesterday. I wonder why

The team is all about marginal gains isn't it, are they now saying there is nothing to be gained by using them.

by AndyM Sun May 05, 2013 12:38 pm
Pictures have appeared of his new TT bike for today and looks like he'll be on round rings.

Could be one of a number of reasons. Shifting issues is one - I know he had a couple of problems at just the wrong moments last year which may or may not have been chain ring related. Gearing - the smallest wonky ring size available is a 38T, whereas a round compact 34T will give him an extra gear or two so he can spin up the steep gradients in the Dolomites. Or he might have decided the new DA 9000 looks rather nice and shiny :)

Whatever the reason, it must be a personal thing - Chris Froome is still using O.Symetric rings.