Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by timj Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:49 pm
I had entered this race but i am away so good luck and i have informed the organiser.cheers

by mart66 Wed May 01, 2013 5:42 am
Just noticed that, Richard. Strange, must be a glitch on the system surely?

Unless her coaches have decided she needs more experience of road racing.

by Cam B Wed May 01, 2013 4:57 pm
Well....we'll have to wait for another occasion when we can pit ourselves against a double Olympic Champion because it's been cancelled. Police are insisting on full road closures and diversions apparently which, I guess, would make the whole thing prohibitively expensive.

by G. Wed May 01, 2013 5:10 pm
Here's the story in the local rag. The closures are after the recent death on the V718.

by Sharpy Wed May 01, 2013 7:11 pm
It feels like the beginning of the end for races on open roads.... hoping this knee jerk reaction passes.

by paulM Wed May 01, 2013 10:58 pm
Total over reaction as usual. I was down to ride Brid CC event the following week but that was called off last Sunday which will make the Div Champs my first event the week after. Anyone who had entered the Wilson Whs event the same day could still get an entry in as the closing date is the 5th and its on a decent and fairly local circuit. I really feel road racing is being slowly squeezed out and looking on the BC website a lot of established events on good circuits have disappeared this year even before this nonsense. I'm not a big fan of airfields or closed circuits and prefer weekends to evenings which kind of limits the opportunites a bit. Seems really sad that no differentiation has been made between a properly managed road race where riders have greater protection on quieter roads, and time trialling where they dont.

by Cam B Thu May 02, 2013 7:14 am
Just had this email from VC Beveley RR Organiser:

Hi Cameron

I have obviously been liaising with bc about it and have told them if i haven't got a decision by this Friday i will be cancelling the event over the weekend. I didn't think it fair on the riders to cancel the event with too short notice.

As things stand I'm not very confident that it will go ahead.

Regards

Rob Brown

Sent from Samsung Mobile

-------- Original message --------
Subject: VC Beverley RR on 19 May
To: ruasurfer@hotmail.com
CC:

Hi Rob,

I know you are in an awful position re: this and the issues with the Police, etc. but do you know when you will be making a decision about whether to cancel this or not? I think that a few riders may think to enter the Yorkshire Region Champs which are on the same day if you have to cancel but the closing date is this Sunday.
Last edited by Cam B on Thu May 02, 2013 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

by PhilBixby Thu May 02, 2013 7:40 am
"It feels like the beginning of the end for races on open roads.... "

Hopefully not - East Riding has always been different to North Yorks (and many other areas) in the police/council attitude to racing. They've been relatively "hands-off" - which has worked in our favour in the past, hence moving our RR there two years ago when we couldn't get approval in North or West Yorks. However, organisers still had to sign a scary contract. Hopefully things will settle over there in line with what's happening nationally - BC are actively trying to get workable procedures agreed and what you're seeing at local events (traffic management with temporary road closures on junctions) seems to be the likely format. If that can be shown to work, and be agreed nationally, then we'll hopefully have a long-term solution.

by Cyan Skymoos Thu May 02, 2013 8:31 am
They're still racing on the V718 aren't they? wasn't there a couple of events on there in April.

I'm sure there will still be road racing in East Riding, it might just get a little more costly to race than it already does.

by G. Thu May 02, 2013 10:56 am
Cyan Skymoos wrote:They're still racing on the V718 aren't they? wasn't there a couple of events on there in April.

I'm sure there will still be road racing in East Riding, it might just get a little more costly to race than it already does.

TT organisers only need to notify the police, not gain permission. So because of a death in a TT, road races are getting cancelled while TTs are going ahead. It's bizarre.