Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by Andy J Fri May 17, 2013 7:12 pm
Plenty of people tried getting away last night but unfortunately there was rock racing who thought they had a mark cavendish amongst their ranks. For the second half of the race they put riders on the front of the bunch, everytime someone jumped they brought them back. Not once did they attack themselves, I for one cant believe how negative their tactics are, its makes racing almost as boring as watching the Sky train.
Rant over!
I would like to thank Gavin and all his helpers for promoting last nights race, they did a great job and it really is appreciated.

Andy Johnson

Yorkshire Velo

by Cyan Skymoos Fri May 17, 2013 8:33 pm
Yes it can seem very negative and it is frustrating, but there are enough strong riders in Clifton these days to get everyone in the gutter and smash these races to bits.

Get your heads together guys, get on the front in a crosswind and just wind everyone's legs off...Cam, Richard, Andy(and others)..I know you can do that, I've been on training rides with you.

by Antlazarus Fri May 17, 2013 9:00 pm
There were definitely enough Clifton riders near the front to do something, although that was more just a result of circumstance than any arrangement.

I was one of the riders learning race tactics - I think I was probably in part to blame for closing gaps to any little breaks as well :oops: So apologies.

Happy to get first points on my license. I had positioned myself behind two rock racing guys going into the final sprint and all was going well until they rode into each other and then bounced into me. This spooked me a bit and I bolted to the finish line with the group behind. Unfortunately it was a bit too early and I was caught in the last 50m or so.

Thanks to Gavin and congrats to Jacob!

by AndyM Fri May 17, 2013 9:26 pm
This was the second race of the week, and second race of the season for me. Have to say I quite enjoyed it, although it was very frustrating - I lost count of the number of times I tried to get off the front. Twice I got a gap, but both times were by myself and there was no way I was staying away. There were two areas of the circuit last night that I had in my head as the best places to go.

The first was over the railway bridge with a tailwind and into the left-hand t-junction, sprint out with a crosswind. This was where I got my biggest gap as the guy behind just lost my wheel in the sprint and crosswind, but no-one came with and I'm no Cancellara.

The second area I was trying was, as Darren mentioned, the second crosswind section - left turn at the crossroads after the S-bend. This was better for the crosswind as the breeze was coming from the East, so I sprinted out of the corner and then stuck it in the gutter, but again after opening up a small gap no-one came with, I was closed down and then when I swung over nobody would keep the pace high.

Nevermind, was all good fun trying, and enjoyed working with Richard for a bit to try and drive the pace, even if no-one else wanted to play too.

Last year it took a few races before I actually started to enjoy my racing, and I was racing much more conservatively - sitting in the bunch and waiting for the inevitable. I've found that these past two races I've enjoyed it so much more now that I'm fitter and more confident, so I'm not nervous to just give it a go.

Big thanks to Gavin and team for a well organised race. Whoever is responsible for booking the coffee and cake van, that was a stroke of genius - a big slice of cake was just perfect before the ride back home afterwards. Also, good riding all - especially Richard, Tim and Anthony who were all very visible at the front throughout.

Looking forward to Brandsby.