Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:02 pm
Clifton's old blokes put together a sizeable presence at today's Barton Wheelers Aussie Pursuit - RichD in the A's, Nigel in the B's, me in the C's, AndyC in the D's and DaveC in the E's (LVRC events group riders by five-year age bands from 40-44yo A's to 70yo+ G's). Most of the talk in the pre-race HQ seemed to be about what to wear - the past six months had left us hopelessly unprepared for racing when the sun's shining and there's no snow on the ground. It was, in a word, lovely.

Until we started, that is... ...the organisers (sensibly) set Dave's small group of 60-65's off with the 65-70's, but (less sensibly) insisted the group of three A's should go a minute after the dozen or so B's, consigning RichD to a 25 mile TT. Our lot set off like a collective scalded cat, shedding a few riders, but I was still in there with just over two laps to go when a pair of very swift B's caught us and we ramped up the pace further to bring the older blokes - now gathered in one group ahead of us - to within a couple of hundred yards. Cramp chose just the wrong moment to strike, and by the time I was back up to speed the gap was too big to bridge. I finished with a couple of other fellas dropped from my group and another couple of fast B riders.

In ten years of trying I've yet to finish in the group contesting the sprint, but this was the closest for a while and, hey ho, next year I'll be setting off a minute earlier. It could be The Big One. Meantime, an hour and a quarter averaging 263W and the first couple of laps nudging 300 (and a more recent couple of glasses of wine) have rendered my legs immobile. How was it for everyone else?

by RichardD Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:24 pm
I had this pencilled in as a training race after seeing the start list. Hoped for a few entries on the line in the A catagory but not to be. Ended up chasing down random fragments of the groups ahead and it was hard work into the southerly headwind. However, good scones at the HQ and the weather meant I was able to shed the tights and Deep Heat. Hopefully, next week back to some proper racing at Greetland. Phil has now tempted me to open a bottle of red for the all important rest and recovery.

by nigelt Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:28 am
From the off the dozen or so B's were flying, with two of the group off the front by the first half lap and at least 4 off the back. I soon followed and soloed for half a lap before catching a Wakefield CC rider who'd also been spat out of the shrinking B group. We stayed together for the rest of the race picking up then dropping a dozen or so others who'd been spat out of the Bs or other groups. Finished in a 3-way sprint for the line with my Wakefield colleague and a Mapperleys rider who we'd picked up with 2 to go.

Didn't stay with the group but met my aim this year, which was to finish before the finish line had been dismantled! In fact the timekeeper was still making a note of our numbers. Result!

A really good day and has inspired me to get some more entries in. Unfortunately no red recovery drink for me cos I'm off to Heathrow at 2am. Not looking forward to 5 hours sat in an aircraft seat with my legs feeling like they do at the moment :cry: