Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by chester56 Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:12 pm
During winter training rides, a number of younger guys have asked me about riding in the LVRC series – so here you go – an occasional foray into the world of riding in the C/D category (aged 50-59)….along with our glorious leader, Phil, who is the only other Clifton rider who rides with me in this category ( quite properly absent today –how sensible!!)
So after an unstructured winter and, as I await hospitalisation/retirement, I kicked off with a long trip down the M1 to Husband Bosworth for the Fleche Waltonne RR. Now, this is a race with shocking weather record, yet it is always popular, not least because it is the season opener for many riders...and this morning was no different (see later). Anyhow, arrived to grey skies and the residue of overnight rain, to be met by a sparkling array of new bikes…the ‘grey pound’ has clearly been at work over the winter……but, as all we racers know, it’s not about the bike!!). As race time approached, the rain began and despite a good warm-up, we were held in a lay-by before the start…..so I was pretty cold by the time we eventually got going…and thank goodness for the neutralised start, which gave me a chance to settle as the rain turned to sleet and the average speed passed 23mph within 5 miles of a 10 mile undulating lap….and then the snow began….and I did not what was worse - my inability to see through ‘steamy’ glasses or stinging eyes when I lowered them…yet, amazingly, the guys up front were powering on as I settled in about 10th place…..and then two or three guys within the top six decided discretion was the better part of valour, pulled over to the right and packed in……which I did at the end of Lap 2…..with the snow settling quite heavily on my rear cassette, making any gear change nigh on impossible……..by the time I got back to base many others were already there and I imagine the race was cancelled (certainly the worst weather I have ever raced in in too many years to remember)….although I did not hang around long enough to find out. Anyhow, the things we do for love….and until next time…… Andy

by RichardD Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:32 am
Had a quick look on the LVRC website this morning and it was indeed cancelled. Sounds horrendous Andy. Was planning on going out for a couple of hours yesterday afternoon after consulting the weather on saturday evening. Predicted overcast skies and intermittant sunshine, realised as rain and snow meant I had to vacuum the house instead (does this count as cross training?).
Entered the Barton Wheelers Pursuit on 13th April and Derek Smith on the 21st, so will probably see you at these.

by PhilBixby Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:31 pm
Full marks for turning up and turning out, Andy. The only time I rode the Fleche was about three years back when I had a chance of a weekend jaunt south; I got a cold but sunny Sunday and it was a great race. I was lucky, I reckon - I know you and others have ridden it the past couple of years and got thoroughly soaked.

Fingers crossed for Barton Wheelers... :roll: