Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by Sharpy Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:55 pm
Final Velo29 winter series race at Croft.

Anyone heading down?

by Melly Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:56 pm
Sharpy, I did have a leaflet I picked up at Croft but cant lay my hands on it but im sure the 9th March was the last one ?

by Sharpy Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:00 pm
I cant see one on the BC website for then, unless they have moved the cancelled on to the 9th?

by Antlazarus Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:39 pm
I thought it was 2nd March, although unfortunately I can't make it. Good luck!

by G. Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:22 pm
I'll be there for the first race, presuming my bike's fixed by then.

by Sharpy Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:23 pm
What a day!

Mild and sunny day at Croft for the last in the series, I had a defined plan following 2 very poor tactical races, the plan was simple, sit in do as little as possible, let the pack chase down the breaks and hope I had the power to win the gallop at the end.

At the sprint prime I had placed myself in the top 10 and figured that I would test the legs and maybe win myself £20, that would have been nice! The prime was not hotly contested and I crossed the line a few lengths clear with G. coming in second place, needless to say this took a reasonable amount out of me and I knew I needed to recover for the finish.

I sloped off to the middle of the pack and took on some drink and oxygen, however the quality of some riding was shocking, in particular one Otley chap who was all over the place, so I made my way back to to top 10 where I felt safer.

A couple of laps out I still felt a bit drained but the pack was doing exactly what I hoped with 4-5 guys chasing down every break so no one could get away and I could just take in the views :shock:.

Last couple of laps my legs felt better, pace picked up and we got through them pretty quickly averaging 26mph, however unlike the races before where I had done too much work I was no blowing and feeling quite fresh, so I got myself on the right-hand side of the pack above 6 from the front then about 20metres out of the last corner I knocked it up a couple of gears and lit the afterburners :lol: braking clear I suddenly thought I had gone to early.

I was expecting to be swamped, I could see a rider entering my peripheral vision, I had chosen the wrong gear and was spinning up, I needed to change but didnt want to lose speed, what do i do? Risk a top result or go all out for the win?

My mind only works one way in that position, I reached for the shifter, click, slight lift off the power, gear drops smoothly and I get back on the power and pull a length clear!

What a rush!! I spent the most of the cool down lap trying to put my lungs back in my body, but this has given me even more of a taste for racing! I can hardly wait for next weekend when I race again!

A couple of photos.... I need my Clifton top for such photo ops!

Shameless, I can only apologise... :oops:

by Antlazarus Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:50 pm
Congrats Rich! That sprint picture is pretty epic!