Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by timj Wed May 22, 2013 7:19 pm
One of those bidons was mine.It does not matter how tight the holder is if u hit a hole like i did at that pace.Anyway thanks to Andrew Windrum for supplying a drink.The race for me was a funny one after 3 races last week i was feeling pretty good and we pushed the pace on and worked fairly well.It seemed a bit easier once the 3rds caught us and John and i stayed at the front most of the race.Funny that the race got easier but the pace ramped up!For me this was the most comfortable i have felt in theseraces of the series but also the fastest by a few miles an hour.Tried to stay on Andrews wheel but got blocked going down the final decent and sprinted in a couple behind John about 15/20th.Great fun but i find myself being frustrated not holding a wheel that iknow will be up there,any advice welcome, i seem to get a bit swamped at the end.Great fun though and a whole bunch better than training on your own.!cheers

by PhilBixby Wed May 22, 2013 8:44 pm
You picked a promising wheel to follow, Tim. You were sat on Andrew's wheel on the inside just before the final S-bends (I was sat on yours!) but it all stretched out through the bends - I'm amazed everyone got through intact given the mix of abilities who were still up near the front.

I've had a word with Geoff "Resurfacing The Roads" Rhodes about Milby in the hope we/he might be able to ask the local highways maintenance squad nicely prior to our RR day.

by Melly Wed May 22, 2013 9:02 pm
Dont think you will have much luck there Phil, he emigrates to New Zealand at the beginning of June!!!

by PhilBixby Wed May 29, 2013 7:39 am
Fifth of the series last night and the second on the Appleton Roebuck circuit. Dull, and with a gusty crosswind over the old airfield, additional challenges were provided by one of the local farming families proving a point by exercising their agricultural rights - a tractor and trailer parked halfway across the road, a bit of mid-race equipment shifting which - thanks to Graham Martin's fast talking - the first group escaped but which slowed the following groups.

The first group wasn't quite up to last week's smooth performance - the wind made it harder - but stayed out front for three laps (just over 25mph and 250W for me) before the second group gradually came on board, followed half a lap later by everyone else. I came adrift by holding the wheel of a rider who lost touch across the airfield, and frustratingly tried hanging on to each of the quicker groups as they came past but the legs weren't 'aving it. Climbed off after the bell and watched the finish, and pedalled home before it got dark.

by JohnS Wed May 29, 2013 8:48 pm
Tough race last night, I thought. BC gives you 3 weeks grace on moving up so I thought I would keep Tim, Phil, Simon and Antony company in the first group. Group worked well again, with about 10 of us working together.

Apologies to all for disrupting the rhythm on lap 3 when I was keen to stay at the front and get the prime points. Despite a sprint, turns out I was a lap early and the prime was lap 4! We were caught half way round lap 4 and I worked hard to stay with the scratch group (any chance of competing for the prime long gone).

Managed to stay with the group for a lap, but with a strong crosswind on the old airfield I was at the back and just couldn't get any shelter. Should really have tried to dig a little deeper but sat up and dropped back to the chasing group. This was much more comfortable but we were still shifting. The front group must have started to play cat and mouse as we caught them with about 300 yards to go. The resultant sprint was chaos with the lead car stuck in the middle and riders all over the road!

Finishing in the main sprint and 23rd on the night was, I think, a respectable performance on a windy night. Great fun. With only 1 more race in the series I'm really going to miss these Tuesday nights.

Looking forward to Thursday. Just hope the rain holds off.

John
by timj Fri May 31, 2013 7:24 pm
Another good chevin race with a good start with as said probably 10 or a couple less working hard for the first 3 to 4th lap with the hard bit going into the wind on the exposed road . we got caught by a trio of elites I think Barras and Kit and another rider just carved through looking so smooth @28plus mph with the rest of us holding on for dear life looking like a rather long snake. After about another lap of this and with a lap to go I lost contact and slid into the chasing group which as John said was a bit easier but only just slower. Followed in with the sprint and another hard but very enjoyable race with Chevin.For sure they are only 35 miles long but u know u have done them.cheers

by PhilBixby Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:34 am
Sixth and final race in the series last night out at Kirby Hill; a sunny evening and only a gentle breeze. Some bloomin' great potholes on the final leg of the circuit approaching the finish though, and some "territory marking" parking, just to give us something the grumble about.

Tim and me in the first group and JohnS promoted to the second group. Our lot hammered round and took the fourth lap prime points with Tim marshalling the willing as best he could. Caught by everyone else shortly after that whereupon the pace went up further. I stuck in the bunch until the final climb into Kirby Hill and then got shelled out for a solo final half lap. Wasn't entirely heartbroken not to be in the bunch at the finish, given how "exciting" it was likely to be!

The numbers from the box of tricks spelled out the nature of these races (and why I struggled to do anything better in 'em). Around 25mph and 262W average - my threshold (1hr TT Wattage) is around 260 at the moment. First lap - taking most of my turns - 270W: next three (taking only occasional turns) 257W and the average throughout 25ish mph. Remainder until getting dropped 273W and 26mph just to hang on. The bunch was doing over 25mph up Kirby Hill on the last lap.

A good series, and I'd recommend it for next year assuming Sonja and the Chevin people can face organising it all again.

by JohnS Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:08 pm
Last of the Chevin series last night on a tight Kirby Hill circuit. As Phil has said i had been promoted (!) to the first chasing group last night. Found the first couple of laps tough (despite having ridden out I still needed to warm into it), but did my turns and the slightly faster start probably didn't help.

Caught by the scratch group actually helped as I could sit in. It all came together at the start of lap 5 and I spent the next couple of laps working my way forward through a fast moving bunch.

On the run into the finish I got myself nicely positioned and competed for the sprint. Thought I had done enough for a placing, but in the end got 13th. Missing out literally by inches. It would have been nice to get some points but I was more pleased with my ability to be up at the sharp end and feel that I'm continuing to make progress.

I can echo Phil, as this has been a fantastic series. Great racing and highly recommended.

John
by timj Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:54 pm
I agree with John.After the first race I got dropped and I thought it was a bit tough but they actually have toughened me up a bit .Work hard to stay away for long enough then work pretty hard to stay in the group with the big boys.The av speeds of the races has been high and the racing exciting and they get a big thumbs up for organisation.The race last night saw us stay away until the prime on lap 4 which I cocked up by leading everyone to the line then dieing before we got there!The car for the other group had come past a while before so I gambled that we would get caught before the line and just nailed it.We got caught just after and managed to stay with it even as Phil said at 25 mph uphill!Finished a couple behind John and Andrew so well up there even in a crazy finish with potholes the lot.Thanks to the organisers who deserve a lot of credit.

by leadshoes Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:26 pm
It was definitely a fast race last night. The average speed was just over 25mph but we peaked in the sprint going 37mph which was impressive. I'm just thankful that there are a lot of experienced riders in the group and few muppets.