Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by Melly Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:20 pm
Ive entered all 6 of these E1234, all in the same race with staggered starts limited to 80 first come first served, starts at Appleton Roebuck, Tadcaster, Selby and Boroughbridge, would be good if we can get a few riders in this series, enter all 6 in one go and get 1 free!! apparently a re-run of a classic series but as a newcommer to it i wouldnt know !! https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/event ... ies_id=315

by AndyM Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:15 pm
The circuits at Saxton and Appleton Roebuck... I'm guessing the Saxton circuit will be out of Saxton to the top of the hill, do a u-turn and race down the main road to Lotherton Hall, left towards Sherburm and left again on that rise half way to Sherburn... and Appleton Roebuck will just be the loop round to Acaster Selby where the Clifton 'come and try it' TT was held a few years back... does that sound about right?

by Cyan Skymoos Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:27 pm
There used to be a race at Saxton...blimey many many years ago. It went up the hill out of the village towards Towton Moor turned left down the road towards Lotherton, I seem to recall it just turned back into Saxton down the lane to the Church, a short sort of triangle, when I did it. Rock hard little circuit...that climb is a killer after a dozen or so times. They might well take it to Lotherton though, makes sense or Elites will be lapping 3rd's half a dozen times.

There used to be some great circuits round that area, and it would be good to see them happen again. I remember the classic race round Aberford/Barwick/Garforth, and the one which went up Garforth Cliff.

by AndyM Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:07 am
Sounds like a hard little circuit that. Not been up the road to the church before, but I definitely agree that it could be too short with a handicap. Think I like that circuit!

by PhilBixby Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:38 am
The original races on those circuits were well before my time. Looks good though - local, and handicap races can be good fun. Plus they're early season - the series only just overlaps the early events in our local evening series. Have entered the lot - weekdays are easier for me than weekends, much of the time.

by Jess Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:22 am
Looks good, and local too. Might see how long I can hang on for. Anyone know if the women go off with the 4th cats in a handicap race? Not done one before

by AndyM Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:02 am
Yep - women will go off with the 4ths unless they ask/choose to race with a higher category.

Yeah it does look like a good series. As much as I'd like to enter the lot it perfectly clashes with the summer exam session so maybe just the last one or two for me.
Last edited by AndyM on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Cyan Skymoos Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:06 am
It might depend how many women enter Jess, but you'd be ok with the 4th's I should think.

They're only short races aren't they....they'll be brutally fast, no doubt about it, these handicap races always are especially in the scratch group.

by Cyan Skymoos Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:27 am
The HQ is at the Crooked Billet so it should be the longer circuit up to Lotherton. It was always great racing those roads. Lumpy deceptively hard little climbs, technical bits, exposed sections with crosswinds. These are the sort of circuits I would've liked to have seen in our North Yorks Race Series.

by JohnS Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:04 pm
they'll be brutally fast, no doubt about it

Although nearly enough to put me off...for better or worse I've entered.

:shock:

John

by Sharpy Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:08 pm
Most interesting... will see how Saturday goes... might have a punt at a couple of these...

by PhilBixby Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:57 pm
I've had a call from the organisers of the series asking for help - they're looking for a number of clubs to take on one event each when they provide marshals/drivers. Because it's a handicap event they need six(!) cars/drivers (who must be BC members); they will have two of their own at each event and so are looking for four more, plus they need three helpers/marshals to work alongside Rich Houghton and his traffic management fellas. I suggested we might be able to help with one of the earlier events (further away from commitments at our Thursday events - say Bishopwood on 30th April or Appleton Roebuck on 7th May)

Clearly this isn't going to suit anyone who's entered the whole series but I'm sure there are a few of you who are planning on just riding a few and could be persuaded to help, for the greater good of road racing in Yorkshire. If so, please post on here and PM me contact details; I'll point the series organiser at this thread and will pass your details on.

by RichardD Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:10 pm
Hi Phil,
I can help at the 7th May event as a helper/marshal. You have my details I think.

Richard
by timj Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:29 pm
Hi How many are entering these races.I see a few down but noy as many as i thought would.cheers

by Sharpy Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:00 pm
There is a reasonable chance I will do some of them.... Does anyone know what the actual courses will be?