Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by Sharpy Wed May 08, 2013 11:46 am
From what I remember it was fast, fun and well organised! Still have my race number as well!!

Shame I could not stay the right way up long enough to see the elites catch us! :cry:

by mart66 Wed May 08, 2013 4:33 pm
Bad luck, Sharpy. Heal well. That race number wasn't 13 was it?

I'm beginning to regret not entering these races especially after the recent cancellations. Anyone know if there's much chance of entering on the day?

Cheers

Martin

by Cam B Wed May 08, 2013 4:45 pm
I was reserve last week and EOL last night with no trouble
by timj Wed May 08, 2013 7:47 pm
I saw a clifton rider at the side of the road as we wmt past.Hope u get better soon.The race itself was pretty fast from the off so if u werent ready for it it was backs to the wall .Clifton were well represented at the front and u know the club r doing most of the work there when other riders start hanging back knowing one of us would come through.25.2MPH 37.5 MILES 1HR 33MINS.Finished with the group sprinting for 0 points.Good fun cheers.

by Melly Wed May 08, 2013 10:33 pm
Although i was never strong enough to spend any time anywhere near the front i hung on until my 2nd mechanical failure from 3 races this year when the Titanium seat post clamp failed, and left me sat on the cross bar after 2 laps :-)).

by GrahamMartin Thu May 09, 2013 9:10 pm
Lift request: I'm marshalling again on Tuesday, and would really appreciate a lift from York - anywhere really, could cycle to someone's workplace if needed. Want to arrive for 6pm to get briefed.

I'd like to reiterate the thankfulness for those mugs of coffee. Do marshals always get that? I did get a few passers-by making snooty remarks at my end. Was interesting standing in the middle of the road, nearly getting run down by approaching traffic from behind and half of the riders in front because they didn't know the 'cut through' and thought they were heading for the main bit of the junction! :P

Also, apologies for the f***-up that left the village junction un-marshalled on the final lap. Community Traffic Management got told the wrong info. They're getting it double-checked next time.

Well done to all the Clifton riders who have clearly been doing sterling work on the front. Maybe one day I'll manage to find the last few watts to be able to keep up with you all. Otherwise, I shall merely have to attempt to be the best marshall/loudest supporter in Yorkshire instead.

P.S. Did the megaphone at the finish line help?

by PhilBixby Fri May 10, 2013 7:53 pm
"Lift request: I'm marshalling again on Tuesday, and would really appreciate a lift from York"

I'll be driving across and can take you - can you get to Holgate Road by five-ish (or do you live south of there so I could pick you up en route)?

by PhilBixby Wed May 15, 2013 7:39 am
Out to sunny (ha!) Saxton last night for the third in the Chevin series. It started slinging it down to coincide with signing-on, and I spent a grumpy half-hour sat in the car before heading out into it to warm up. Sadly - for the first time in ten years of racing - pre-race preparation failed to include putting a bottle on the bike...

As usual, plenty of Clifton up at the front of the first group with AndyM, Tim and John, who were therefore most affected by the mayhem when the lead car went straight on at the left turn towards Saxton - the traffic management bods had simply failed to arrive in time. This contributed to us getting caught by the second group at the start of the third lap, and the whole race came together not long after that. I dropped off the back on the fourth lap when cramps started and rode to the bell with three others - 260W, 22mph; hard work in the cold and wet and on a lumpy circuit.

Next!

by JohnS Wed May 15, 2013 12:58 pm
3 races now and all very different. As the saying goes what a difference a week makes. Grey clouds and rain last night along with somewhat cool temperatures.

A tough little course involving 3 climbs made a change from the previous flat courses. 2 comfortable laps with the 4ths and then we were caught and the pace went up and it was all hands to the pumps. Started to tire on lap 6 (out of 7) and was scrambling to hold a pretty fast bunch on the last lap. A shout of encouragement from Andy on the penultimate rise (thanks mate!) was just enough to dig a little deeper and hold on.

With really nothing left I didn't try and compete for the sprint (although sitting here sort of wish I'd tried) but just happy on the night to roll in at the tail-end of the bunch. Just over 24 mph seemed pretty respectable given the profile, and my legs certainly felt they'd had a good work out!

Another great learning experience and if not exactly competing, I'm pleased to still be involved at the end given the presence of some pretty good riders.

Disappointed I can't ride Bishopwood on Thursday, but good luck to everyone who is and looking forward to next Tuesday already.

John :D
by timj Wed May 15, 2013 7:18 pm
Kind of the same report from last night as John.I think that 24mph on there is pretty good going as it is a tough but good parcours.Same again 6thlap out of seven in and just starting to swing at the back needing just a moment of recovery which the way we were going was never going to happen.Tried to hold the wheel and did so until a little rise and gone.Noticed that racing with better cats that the pace gets high and generally stays there til the end so important to use any recovery time wisely.Came in about a minute or so behind maybe a bit more but had a good ride and obviously wanted to stay til end with the group but not to dissapointed.cheers Tim.

by AndyM Fri May 17, 2013 9:41 pm
Great race for the first one of the year. Was very close to getting back on my bike and heading home after the drenching I got cycling to race HQ, but a little bit of persuasion from Tim was all it took for me to EOL.

The circuit is great, really enjoyed it. The lead car sending us the wrong way was not the ideal start, but chased back on pretty swiftly, and was straight to the front trying to keep the pace fairly high. Was interesting to see the contrast in climbing speeds between our 4ths group and the 1st and 2nd cat group - the 1s and 2s were quite a bit quicker up the climbs, but steadier on the corners with it being a larger group. Once the catch was made, my positioning in the bunch was pretty pants - twice I found myself on the wrong side of a split, but twice I surprised myself by managing to chase my way back onto the group, which I was really happy I did. A good fun evenings racing, and was happy to stay with the quick group to the finish, especially given the 3 chases I had to make. Great rides by Tim and John - John stayed right towards the front of the group after the catch had been made, and I knew with that little bit of encouragement he could stick with it until the end :)

The worst of the rain arrived just as I set off riding home, so got a nice drenching :) But at least it wasn't during the race!

by Sharpy Fri May 17, 2013 9:44 pm
Really wanted to do this race, even more than the others. Gutted.

Glad Clifton are having a good showing though, they are tough races when the catch happens and the pace shoots up 10km/h!!

Might have to come and watch on at some point.

by GavinW Tue May 21, 2013 12:53 pm
Just for info; I have an entry for tonight's race but I am concerned about some heel pain I have. I fear it might be Plantar Fascitis and therefore I risk making this worse by racing. It has been getting worse over recent weeks.

I probably therefore won't be starting so if any of you are hoping for an entry on the line there will be at least one place available!

by PhilBixby Wed May 22, 2013 7:30 am
Well, that was fun! A dry, if chilly, evening for the fourth of the series, on the Milby circuit. This has deteriorated badly over the winter, so there are potholes all over the place, which resulted in riders bouncing all over the road - the hedges must be littered with bidons. The Clifton contingent was John, Tim and me, and we all got round in one piece and were up with the bunch at the finish.

For the first time in these races the first group worked well - everyone rolled through and we despatched the first two laps at 26.4mph before getting caught first by the third cats and then by Jamie Sharpe and a couple of other breakaways from the scratch group. The pace then cranked up further - with a few of our group (including John) still very active up front - and a bunch of about forty starting the final run-in to the finish. I'm not sure having a set of S-bends in the final quarter-mile was a top tip but it sort of spread things out a bit; somewhere in the twenty-somethings for me. 26.7mph and 266W averages for me, which makes it pretty much the fastest race I've done for a long time.

by JohnS Wed May 22, 2013 7:08 pm
Good summary of last night events from Phil. Just the 3 of us from Clifton last night but I really enjoyable race. I was a little worried with heavy legs after the Etape du Dales on Sunday but felt fine once we were off.

It was nice to see the group working well from the off and even after we were caught and the pace went up, the pace was manageable (just). I even felt strong enough to help chase down attacks on the last lap. Having said that, it was great seeing Jamie Sharp put in attack after attack trying to get away! I even managed to get off the front on the last lap chasing an attack down but just didn't have the legs to anything and was soon swallowed up.

Got slightly excited with 500 yards to go when I was sitting in 4th having jumped from the last corner. What I didn't know was the bunch was massing behind and I was swallowed up in the gallop for the line.

Finished just outside the top 10 (frustratingly) but delighted to be up there in what was the fastest race to date with some good riders.

What I need to work out is how to move from just outside the top 10 into the points. Seems to be that's another step up, both in fitness but also positioning. Still plenty to work on.

Anyway, great fun and delighted there's some life in the old dog yet.

John