Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by chester56 Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:37 pm
Thought I would let folks know what I have shared with a few of you recently and that is I shall be retiring from competitive racing due to forthcoming hospitalisation. As a former pro-footballer whose career never got off the ground due to serious knee injuries, I took up cycling in the early 90’s and had both knees replaced in 1999. As a veteran of over 250 races across the years and the only rider in the UK who rides competitively in this condition (according to LVRC, BC and other orthopaedic records) I have been fortunate to have some great fun and, as I get closer to 60, I find myself frustratingly slowing down. Needless to say, I shall continue to ride hard on Saturday training rides and enter some early season races until such times as the NHS come calling. Many thanks to the many friends I have made amongst Cliftonites, especially those I have raced. See you around

Andy

by DamianE Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:50 pm
Hi Andy

You're not slowing down much you know! Hope he op goes fine when they get organised but that they don't get organised whilst you're still clearly loving riding the bike.

by RichardD Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:57 pm
Andy,
Thanks for the encouragement last year at the LVRC races. You will be missed on the chain gang and training rides. If you ever feel like a social ride after recovery, you know where we are. All the best.

Richard

by PhilBixby Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:49 am
Really sorry to hear you're reluctantly planning to pack up racing, Andy. I'd noted you as a strong competitor ages before realising you were doing it on two man-made knees, and was pretty gobsmacked when I learned this. Given the trouble you've had with them over the past couple of years you've done amazingly well to overcome it all and still be up at the sharp end of races. Given your competitive instincts I'm sure it'll take a while to settle into anything less full-on; will hope to see you in some vets races this spring, and will keep my fingers crossed that you may yet get yourself out with a number on your back after the upcoming surgery.

by Cam B Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:36 pm
Yes...you're definitely not getting slower! Best of luck Andy. Your drive and determination is amazing.

by Melly Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:49 pm
Good luck and hope you recover quickly.

by tomf Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:22 am
Best of luck Andy and hope the NHS looks after you well.
tom

by AndyM Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:10 pm
Wish you all the best Andy, and good luck with the operation. I look forward to hopefully seeing you out on the road sometime - your determination is incredible!

Andy