Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by lugster77 Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:25 pm
Just wondered much training you racing guys & girls do? How many hours a week to folk do?

by Cyan Skymoos Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:37 pm
Between 12 and 15 hours a week, very easy tickling the pedals. These miles probably have no training effect :wink: so I'm not sure you can call it training. My chain hasn't seen the big ring since August. Things change a little after Christmas.

by PhilBixby Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:32 pm
Average of seven hours a week across the year - bit more now (with it being more long rides) and bit less in spring when it's more short sharp sessions.

by AndyM Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:28 pm
Cyan Skymoos wrote:Between 12 and 15 hours a week

+1, since June this year. Just riding by myself, enjoying the lovely Peak District at the mo! Sometimes more (like over holidays when us lucky students get lots of time to do productive things like revise and ride our bikes..) and sometimes a bit less when I have other things that need doing. Doing on average 60% more a week so far this winter than I was at this time last year.
Last edited by AndyM on Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by willhub Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:38 pm
Doing about 8-10 hours at the moment or around 150-200 miles, I don't do as much as I'd like to but I can't wash my clothes after every ride, means I can't ride consecutive days cause my mum goes bazerk moaning about the washing machine. If I could handwash my stuff I'd probably add another 3-5 hours maybe more, might just get in the shower with my stuff on.

by Sharpy Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:41 pm
About 8-14 for me... not all bike though as I am a pesky triathlete!!

by RichardD Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:03 pm
Last year about 6 hours per week, this year 9-10 so far, but impending 3 week forced layoff over Christmas. Hope to see you in the New Year on the training rides.

Willhub, on the question of dirty kit, do not worry about it. Although I always wear clean shorts, I do confess to recycling tops, leg/arm warmers, socks, overshoes, skull cap, gloves, neck warmer, base layer and bib tights.
I consider this an essential element of my training regime. It helps to increase my BO2 max.
Last edited by RichardD on Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Melly Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:20 pm
Willhub, if you turn base layers inside out it counts as a clean install, same with socks & undercrackers :wink:

by PhilBixby Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:19 am
"If I could handwash my stuff..."

Okay, I've cracked. What is the technical issue here, Will? :?

by mart66 Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:20 pm
10-12 most weeks. About 8 every 4th week or so.

Martin

by willhub Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:38 pm
PhilBixby wrote:"If I could handwash my stuff..."

Okay, I've cracked. What is the technical issue here, Will? :?

Well my mum won't let me use the sink, so I'd have to do it in the bath, but I'm not sure what stuff to put on em, like just chuck a bit of Daz on em or something?

I've just hung my stuff up tonight after 40 odd miles today, I was going quite fast though so my clothes got quite wet, so it's going to be a bit cringe worthy getting into dirty kit tomoz, I guess they'll feel normal after 5 mins, in Manchester I used to wash my stuff 1-2 times a day.

by PhilBixby Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:12 pm
Blimey, it's a hard life in the Hub household! Tell her you'll use ten times as much hot water in the bath than you would in the sink. Soap flakes, travel wash (Barnitts) or cheap shampoo's okay at a push. Technique learned in France in summertime - hanging soiled kit overnight is not an option; I tried it only once and my jersey smelled like a tramp with a bladder infection had pee'd over it.

by G. Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:59 pm
Normal soap also works!

by paulM Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:12 pm
About 7 or 8 hours winter & summer most weeks which isnt as bad as it sounds so long as you dont go more than a couple of days without a ride and dont miss any weeks.

Something to ask Santa for there Will. A new pair of shorts and a vest! Just change these after each ride and they can be easily handwashed and will dry quick if you squeeze the excess out by wrapping in a towel first and hanging up straight. Its a false economy to just have one set of kit as it will wear out in double quick time. But it doesnt matter so much for tights and jersey if you are riding alone - just hammer them out after each ride and stick them in the wash when you have a load to do - preferably before a group ride!

by willhub Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:45 pm
I have about 5 pairs of shorts, no about 10 actually, just the pads have worn down in them, so either their chafing me or giving me aches.

Might was em with some shower gel and see what it does.