Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:16 am
Just to get this firmed up in your diaries... ...this Saturday's training ride will do the westerly route (York, Appleton Roebuck, Tadcaster, Bramham, Thorner, Barwick, Aberford, Sherburn, Cawood, and back to York (with a loop of the Bishopwood circuit en route)). Forecast is for chilly but hopefully no worse than that. As is always the case through the worst of winter, if the weather suddenly turns dramatic then take a look in on here nearer the time in case it becomes necessary/sensible to cancel or change route.

Experience over the past couple of weeks seems to be that people are settling into sensible behaviour - shall we assume that groups are likely to stick together, and go for "steady" at ten to nine, with "slightly brisker" at nine? If there are lots out, we can split the second lot into two groups.

AndyC sensibly noted last week that the different requirements in these rides are (generally) not about some people wanting to suffer more than others, simply that due to different levels of current ability, people have varied views on what constitutes "steady". Last time we did this route my group averaged about 18.5mph for the out-of-town bit which was just about okay for most of the group - I'd guess that would be a reasonable likely pace for the brisker group with the steadier one going a mile an hour slower. But whatever.. ..riders in both groups should work as groups!

by AndyT Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:15 pm
I'll be there. :twisted:

by Sharpy Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:15 pm
Might be clear by Sat but Cawood, Stillingfleet and Naburn are currently underwater!! Fulford is closed as well although that is more likely to be open!

Hoping it clears up before we head out!

by PhilBixby Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:23 pm
Okay... ...how about to be on the safe side we plan to do the northerly route instead and save the westerly for the following week?

(York - Tockwith - Wetherby then north up the A168 to Boroughbridge; Milby, Helperby, Easingwold, Crayke, Brandsby, Whenby, Sheriff, and back to York)

by nigelt Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:06 pm
Should be out :D
by timj Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:39 pm
I know Rubens wont be out again so hopefully i will be there.Should be ok for the early one if weather ok.If not i will post on Sat morn @ about 8 cheers Timj

by reubenbarrett Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:34 am
I was out on Sunday on road up to Tockwith and there was a lot of water flooding on the road. I rode through a few floods but turned back before Tockwith as they were too deep - coming over my boots! I don't know if they will have gone or not by Saturday, just a word of warning that any route might be tricky this weekend. Sadly I am not here again, have fun, will see you on following week.

by Paul W Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:40 am
Apart from buttercrambe bridge.the malton route is clear if thats any help.malton is passable "just".I hope to be there for the 8,50 group if im not working

by AndyM Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:14 am
You could do the northerly route as Phil suggests but head straight down the main road through Long Marston, Bilton and Bickerton to the Wetherby race course and join the A168 at Wetherby as we did once or twice last year? it's not ideal for solo riding but in a tidy group should be fine.

by mart66 Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:57 am
I went out on Sunday and braved Tockwith. The flooding was quite severe. Water came over my shoe covers. The stretches of water are quite long too so you have to pedal rather than coast through them.

AndyM's suggestions seems sensible.

I'm not out this week as Joe Friel tells me that it should be a 'recovery' week. Have fun and wear waterproof shoe covers!

Martin

by dave c Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:01 pm
I was out through Tockwith yesterday and it was clear.

by PhilBixby Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:39 pm
Did the whole of the northern route today and all clear apart from flooding south of Cundall - don't know if this was around the bridge as didn't have time to investigate. But we'll get a ride out of it anyway - if the bridge is clear then normal route, if not then double back and re-trace route home. Either way it's three hours of the sort of thing Joe Friel reckons we should be doing (even on a recovery week :wink: )
by timj Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:12 pm
Martin the early group is nothing over the zone 1/2 recovery zone if you still want a group ride.

by Broom Wagon Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:06 pm
I should be out as usual - though might think better of it if the temperature drops below zero.

by paulM Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:07 pm
Who is this Joe Friel - is he a member??
Seriously guys - you aint gonna be racing for another 4 months so it isnt really necessary to be fine tuning your training just yet - just keep the pedals turning and getting out when you have the opportunity. Recent experience has taught us that you could be under a foot of snow and facing the dreaded turbo trainer for weeks at a time very soon.
But the bottom line is its winter so you get your feet wet as nobody has yet developed over shoes that actually work although they probably would need to be moulded to your legs to really work? Plaggy bags over your shoes and under your overshoes is the best I can offer! you should have been out with us on Sunday - we were up to our hubs a few times! Have a good ride.