Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by mart66 Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:50 am
I don't think we'll get many takers for the 9:00 ride. Sounds scary. Do people want a fast group ride at this time of year? If so, I'll definitely be in the second group. I don't fancy racing up those grinding climbs.

Alternative billing:
9:00 Steady
9:05 Steadier
8:50 Steadiest

All rides are steady but some rides are more steady than others.

Martin

by mikeh Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:04 pm
How about:

8:50 Not quite ready
9.00 Steady
9.05 Go!!!

I'll be there for the 8.50 ride.

by reubenbarrett Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:35 pm
There must be someone who wants to go quickly? 25mph on A168 last week would imply someone wants to go hard?

My own theory is that everyone thinks that others want to go quickly and as we don't want to hold others back, the pace gets upped. That and the fact we all like going quickly, never mind our sensibilities are telling us we should go steady in November. Just a theory though based on my very limited experience!
by timj Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:47 pm
More like people thin they want a steady ride then think it is too slow and start going a bit and noone wants to spoil their fun !What will happen is everyone is going to turn up @ 850 and it could turn into an earlier 900 ride.The fact is some people have not got a specific goal or are really motivated for sat mornings.Which is fine.These people should all be in one group rip each other to bits for a few weeks then come back to the steadier rides for a mid winter break :twisted:

by Melly Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:53 pm
mart66 wrote:I don't think we'll get many takers for the 9:00 ride. Sounds scary. Do people want a fast group ride at this time of year? If so, I'll definitely be in the second group. I don't fancy racing up those grinding climbs.

Alternative billing:
9:00 Steady
9:05 Steadier
8:50 Steadiest

All rides are steady but some rides are more steady than others.

Martin

Alternative billing
08:50 Steady
09:00 Steadier
09:05 Steadiest

Always allowing any one who is dropped from the initial group/s a lifeline back to York?

by reubenbarrett Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:57 pm
Setting the "Steadiest " group off last is a popular request and we should probably re-visit this next week.

But it doesn't really apply this week because ten-to-nine group is doing a different route this week (same route as faster group last week) because I think that Malton route would split this group up too much.

So I think Martin is right with billing as:

8:50 Steadiest - Boroughbridge
9:00 Steady - Malton
9:05 Steadier - Malton

As Phil said earlier, I don't want everyone to pile into the 8:50 option just because of the "carnage" stories. The Malton route is a great route and if we can split the riders on basis of desire/ability for pace on that route, everyone should get round more or less together.

by willhub Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:41 pm
I have no specific goal in training and I also have no idea what I'm doing, I'm just trying to get miles in at the moment, only managing around 180 a week at the moment.

I'll be out, I'll get there for 8:50 and see what groups are there, I don't look for a fast ride, I just end up darting up the hills because it's fun and easier to get up them :p, and ya know if there is a bit of rivalry on the hills that's fun too.

It's going to rain tomorrow, so it's going to take me a hard talking to in the morning to get out.

by reubenbarrett Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:56 pm
11 brave riders for the ten-to-nine ride today to face the truly Belgian conditions out there. We had our first puncture about 100 yards from the square, second for the same person at Acomb so he hoisted the white flag to head home, then another just as we got to the A168 which resulted in 6 heading off at a steady pace and the 4 remaining including TimJ and me having a fairly pacey (for November) 4-up to get back on. We re-grouped just after Boroughbridge and had a brief, puncture-free period with rolling through-and-off until the top of Crayke where..... I punctured. 2 dropped off just after Crayke for a steadier ride home and the remaining 8 had a very tidy rolling through-and-off all the way back into York.

Thanks everyone for patience with punctures which can be frustrating. Well done to the 2 14-yr-old lads who joined us today - you will be kicking our asses in the years to come so keep it up. TimJ did a great job with pointers on group riding for everyone and the overall standard was noticeably better already.

57 miles for me with the out-of-town bit averaging 18.7mph.

by Paul W Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:39 pm
Hi.many thanks for waiting for me with the punctures.had 4 in total.still couldn't find the problem as to why I got the punctures. But had a lumpy solo ride out this aft so all ok.was gutted really.was feeling good this morning.fingers crossed for next week

by reubenbarrett Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:53 pm
Agh, just been out to shed and the other wheel punctured as well... so 2 in one day for me.

by Broom Wagon Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:06 pm
So much for my bravado with regards the undulating ride to the East, as usual it was my undoing. Even on the first rise I was struggling and by Malton I’d thrown in the towel. Given discussion on the forum recently, there’ll be people reading the previous statement thinking: well obviously, it was too fast for the training ride in November; if only that were true. Considering how cohesively the other 16 riders rode on the rises I’d say for 16 people the training ride met the description on the tin.

However, there were people looking quite comfortable who at times I’ve been able to dig into their back wheel on the rises and stay in contact so maybe I was just having a bad day; it’s been a tiring week with a lot of travelling and late nights and today was the first opportunity this week I’ve had to ride…..but I’m only kidding myself, I’ve never been able to ride any vaguely upward road with any pace and after 20 or so years of riding I gave up trying to change that a long time ago.

So after today I don’t know what to do – keeping riding I suppose and hopefully by spring I’ll be a bit lighter and a bit quicker – though with the next year’s racing licence sitting on the mantelpiece I can’t help thinking the money would have been better spent on kids clothes.

Oh well – see you all next week.

by willhub Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:44 am
Did you get much rain? I regret wimping out.

by timj Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:02 pm
Puncture as well :roll:

by PhilBixby Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:41 pm
"...with the next year’s racing licence sitting on the mantelpiece I can’t help thinking the money would have been better spent on kids clothes"

Plenty of 3rds/4ths races (not to mention vets races, since organisers don't like the old fellas keeling over on hills) on flat-ish circuits!

Sounds like both groups had a good ride, despite the weather and despite the punctures, and I'm assuming no-one went for the "carnage" option. Very wise. 18mph-odd for the "steady" groups sounds quite quick enough. I just clicked on TrainingPeaks record 26/11/11 when we did the east route - 17.5mph. It wasn't until New Year's Eve that we were cracking 18mph on that route.***

Absent thanks to the demands of potential Geordie self-builders, I bookended Saturday with solo rides on Friday and today - just under sixty miles at around 17mph each of 'em, and lovely too, especially today's in the crisp sunshine. Might just have to clean the bike sometime though...

***Edit:- Just remembered the "steady" group went north - still sounds a good pace tho!