Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by willhub Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:36 pm
In a group I'm not fussed doing low speeds, but on my own I get bored if I'm not pushing on a bit, doing 19+ keeps me interested.

I guess if it's a steady ride tomoz I'll be fresh enough for another ride because I can't wait to go riding in the dark with my new £30 light (I'm sure this beats some £200 lights )

timj wrote:Going back to Wills post .Did 60 odd miles today '''''''''''''''''''''''''''15.2mph wohhhhhhhhhh whats that all about. :D

I don't understand? I never mentioned my avg speed.

It's interesting that this all turned into average speed because I never actually mentioned my average speeds, I just said struggling to keep 20, that could have meant 200 meters or 2,000,000 meters.. And I've still not specified my average speeds because I know what happens when average speeds are talked about, might as well be WW3 in the cycling world.

by Cyan Skymoos Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:37 pm
I've seen you training in winter Will, you came past me like I was a bollard in the road.
I find the best thing to do is don't have a computer on the bars so you haven't got a clue how fast you're going. Put a watch on so you know when to turn home for tea.
by timj Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:53 pm
I did not say anything about 15.2mph being an average just a speed i maintained for a while!!!

by Broom Wagon Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:57 pm
Cycling slowly - never a problem for me - cycling fast that's the tricky bit.

by PhilBixby Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:39 pm
Not sure if it was a collective start-of-training-season rush of blood to the head, the hint of sunshine or what this morning but there were ooooo, what? 35? More? ..out in the square this morning. Cam set off with an initial and already oversized-looking bunch of fifteen or so and I waited for the late-comers, eventually rolling out with another big group. In the nature of such chaotic circumstances, we lost half our lot on the way out of York, passed the first group in the midst of puncture repairs just before Bramham, re-grouped and then split up again... etc. It was great to see so many people (presumably) planning on getting a number on their back next year, but I'm not sure the car drivers of Yorkshire agreed, and we were "treated" to some spectacularly bad driving.

Excessive group size apart, nice work by everyone who at various times accompanied me - just maybe a whiff too much testosterone on the hills but it more or less kept tidy with 18.5ish for the out-of-town bit and a whisker over 200W normalised power. Next time out just bear in mind Darren's still wearing carpet slippers and hurling down toasted teacakes, and Tejvan P would, according to his own figures, have been out the back sometime prior to Tadcaster... ...it's only just November! :wink:

How'd the rest of you get on?

by willhub Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:20 pm
55 miles for me and just under 19.5 avg, I was struggling on the little hills compared to norm, I was yoyoing between groups, I split from larger group, stoped, there was a bit of a crash ahead not too serious I gather, decided to go back to the main group, took untill almost sherburn to catch up putting some effort in, nice to have a steadier ride though.

All ruined when I got home with Fish, Chips and a battered jumbo :p

by Sharpy Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:11 pm
Started in the second group, at the first set of light we became the 3rd group. Made our way though York, it was like wacky races with all the lights, holes and cars!!

Slowly caught the second group, which probably could have done without another 6-7 riders.... Soon after, in Tadcaster I was in a group that got out the front at a junction and that is how we stayed until John Bevan and slipped wheels with a chap coming over the top and John and another chap (sorry didnt catch your name) hit the deck, the main group came past and some of the small group took the option and jumped on the main group.

Down to 4 battered and bruised we set off to catch the main group which we did just before Bishopwood.

Good day, TT in the middle was not as much fun as I thought it would be, groups were massive though!!

by Fiona Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:39 pm
Really enjoyed that ride today :) I was expecting to struggle a little more than i did last week, but i actually felt quite good and thankfully the hills didn't cause too many problems for me.
Sorry to hear about John's crash - hope he's not too sore.
Hopefully see you all next Saturday.

by mikeh Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:39 pm
First training ride for me and I left the Square with the first bunch. Very enjoyable ride and a great amount of helpful advice from the rest of the group once they noticed that as we left Tadcaster I was beginning to have to fight to hang on. Hang on I did until just after Cawood when having been at the front my fuel tank sprang a leak. The gap grew larger and larger and although I tried to hang on I finally lost sight of the group at Naburn. Great ride though. I'm not able to make a Saturday until 17th but I'll take all the advice on board and come back fitter, faster.....and wiser.

by Melly Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:33 pm
1st club training ride for me and a great ride out, back before 12 :-) Garmin data for those interested in the PowerCal testing, couple of miles missing from the start, pilot error. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/239658151