Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by AndyT Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:37 am
Assuming we are still on?

Andy

by PhilBixby Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:14 am
Yep...

by PhilBixby Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:19 pm
Okay, well I promise I'll never make glib comments about the weather ever again...

...it was sunny but barely above freezing as a pretty large group gathered in the square - some newcomers, some triathletes, some regulars. We duly set off out of town with a sort of collective shrug of "it'll be fine when we get moving!" And indeed it was, but two punctures before we'd got to Howden didn't help with the warming-up. Thankfully as we turned back into the northerly wind (i) everyone's tyres held up okay and (ii) the temperature crept up towards the dizzy heights of six or seven. Showing my well-loved tact I'd chosen the route which went past the site of Toby's last big prang, but to balance that we got to ride on the newly-surfaced stretch between Wheldrake and Escrick - thank you, Geoff Rhodes!

While in thanking mood, a mention for Mister Ian Kent; After sorting out his own puncture, he helped fix the morning's second, and then did the full "I'm going outside and I may be some time" thing when his chain snapped about fifteen minutes later. And he still caught us on the way into York!

Good riding from all concerned. The group broke up a bit on the last half hour, and apologies especially to the lad who dropped off sometime after Skipwith. A brisk ride given the conditions - 57 miles in 3hrs 11min and around 18½mph for the out-of-town bit. 187W Normalised, for the nerds out there.

We'll go one step round the clock face for next week and do the westerly route. Appropriate clothing, "the full Musgrave", and plenty of spare tubes please. For any of you who were suffering towards the end, keep coming out on 'em - plenty of people will tell you that sticking in there until the end can take a few goes, but once you manage it, you're set up for a lifetime's thrills... :D

by Tobzlerone Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:26 pm
This is the hardest ride since..well, last winter.
In all honesty i wasn't quite prepared for the pace of the training ride today, and those last two 'climbs' heading into Stillingfleet quickly sapped all the last bits of muscle in my left leg. So a massive Thankyou goes out to Melly, and then Damien who gave me his wheel home.

Despite the sufferfest i really enjoyed myself and it was great to be back, you probably wont see me until we do this route again as all the others are a bit hard at the moment.

the initial estimation before i could return to sport was 6 months. today was one day short of 4 months. so im on track

cheers

Tobz

by Sharpy Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:53 pm
Good ride today, cold and wet to start with but it soon warmed up and dried out.

Looking forward to the next one.

Cheers Sharpy

by Tobzlerone Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:19 pm
Oh, and I hope everyone appreciated all the hard work that went into my mudguards ;)

by Paul W Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:24 pm
Many thanks for the 1st ride out with you guys.really enjoyed it despite the weather.yeh wind got the better of me after wheldrake so sat back and headed back at my own pace.bit once again.thanks

by Melly Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:01 pm
Great ride today folks and thanks to Phil for planning the ride and putting some sort of structure to it, also not forgetting the more experienced guys who marshalled us newbies into some sort of pelaton along the way!! Looking forward to next week and hope it is a little warmer (really hope that comment does not come back and bite me on the bum). I have posted this else where on here but for those not following the other threads, this was my 1st ride out with the new CycleOps PowerCal via the Garmin. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/237501435

Toby, i may well patent your mudguard mounting system, please dont release any design calculations and technical drawings into the public domain yet!!! :wink:

by Fiona Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:57 pm
Well that was the first training ride where i've managed to hang onto the group until we got back into York - I even managed a few stints on the front too...albeit short ones :wink:
I did a few of the earlier training rides last year but I was pretty much blowing outta my ears and chewing the bars after about 30 miles :lol:
It's good to know i've made some improvement this year, although i suspect that if you throw a few more hills into the mix i won't be with you all at the end.
Still, it's all good fun....and training.