Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by nigelt Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:09 pm
Further to Phil's posts after the pub meeting, is anyone interested in attending a Spring training camp next year- 3 options:

1. We book somewhere in the Lakes, Wales or similar and spend a long weekend riding as a group / groups- cheapest but v weather dependent;

2. We book self-catering in the Southern Costa Blanca and fly bikes out. I can plan plenty of good rides as I know the area quite well (as do some other club members) next cheapest option with good weather more or less guaranteed;

3. We book with a company in Majorca, Spain or Italy. Most expensive but plenty of group options with guides. If a number of us went we may get a group discount.

I'm willing to organise this if the numbers justify it. I appreciate it won't suit everyone due to cost / time away from home / both, but it would be a great idea if enough people are up for it.

If you're interested or have any questions let me know. If we book soon we may be able to take advantage of some early booking discounts.

Nigel :D

by Dr Dave Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:20 pm
Could just go to Majorca as a group. Ideal roads and weather pretty reliable...

by like my bike Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:56 am
I'd be up for a long weekend in the Lakes, Yorkshire Dales area, maybe do something joint with the MTB guys.

A J

by reubenbarrett Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:35 pm
I would love to do something like this Nigel. Mallorca would be great or, if not enough interest, I am happy to go for the Wales / Dales / Lake district option instead. Having just come back from 3 weeks in France, I really enjoyed the roads, climate etc so would love to do more abroad though!

For me, I have to balance small kids and keeping wife happy so I could probably do about 4 days away over long weekend. This makes Mallorca or other option workable for me. For a trip in UK, this would be more cost effective which is great but I would need to understand where we go that justifies the trip compared to local riding.

by RichardD Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:28 am
I went to Majorca last spring with these guys.

http://stuarthallcycling.co.uk/

It was billed as a training camp but in reality is a series of club runs. The hotel and food were fine and the riding relaxed. The week I was there the place was about 80+% cyclists, with a few familar faces from the LVRC races, doing their own club thing. Having been once, you get to know the main climbs and routes, so can do without a guide. Flights from Leeds Bradford to Palma were quite cheap and there was no issue taking the bike (£30 each way). I enjoyed the club run feel of it and if I did something like this again would again prefer to avoid too much intensity. I soon realised by day three that I was not used to putting in daily 5 hour rides.
by chester56 Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:26 pm
Have done both over the years and tend to favour the UK option...notwithstanding liklihood of lesser weather...for general ease of convenience

Giiven that most of us would use this event as a race training-aid and most races are about two hours duration, I am all for a series of good-quality 3 hr+ rides with some thought going into how we ride them

by nigelt Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:42 pm
There may be an option to ask Mark Grange aka Velo Coach to put together a race-focused programme for such a trip. Mark certainly has the experience and skills to do a bespoke schedule, any costs of which could be absorbed into the price of the trip.

Personally I prefer the option of sun, good roads and pleasant drivers that somewhere like Majorca would offer. Sounds like we could look to book some accommodation and find our own rides helped by Richard's experience.

That said there have not been many replies to date, so I'll wait and see how much interest there is...