Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:30 am
As per Pub! thread, here's a quick starter for ten setting out what's proposed for next year.

The North Yorkshire Evening RR League will run again pretty much as a repeat of this year. This would mean six events:-

16th May Bishopwood 4ths only - organised by Clifton
30th May Escrick 3rds/4ths - organised by Cycleworks
13th June Kirby Misperton 3rds/4ths - organised by Malton Wheelers
27th June Escrick 3rds/4ths - organised by Clifton
11th July Brandsby 3rds/4ths - organised by Cycleworks
25th July Kirby Misperton 3rds/4ths - organised by Malton Wheelers

So as a club we'd need organiser and helpers/marshals on 16th May and 27th July. Cam did a brilliant job of organising this year's; it would be great if two new people would take on one event each next year so we spread the knowledge of how to run these things - please post below!

We'll also have the club RR day with a vets race in the morning and a 2nds/3rds/4ths BC race in the afternoon. Keeping the same slot in the calendar (which works well in avoiding other local events) would mean running that on 14th July. I'm happy to do race organiser role for both as long as (as per this year) others are happy to help/marshal - the format means that it's possible to do one race and marshal the other.

2013 will also see the return of the York Cycling City Races. Timing / format is being discussed with the council and BC at the moment, but the thinking is to bring the event forward to give maximum evening daylight and avoid everyone being away on holiday. Current favourite is the weekend of 28th-30th June; the aim is to do the same mix of a high-profile Elite race combined with a 3rds/4ths, Junior and "accessible" (possibly Bromptons) race, but to also see if it is possible to combine this with - maybe - bringing the national crit champs to York and making a really big weekend event of it. making this happen would require some organisational input from the club and hence a few people putting their hands up to take on jobs. I'm happy to help but would rather take a slightly back seat since I'll have the RR day looming. Jason did a great job two years ago and there will be even more support from the council this time - if you'd like to be involved, please post below. This really should be a fun thing to be part of.

Lastly, Andy J talked about the Heslington East circuit (1km of nice smooth purpose-built tarmac). In addition to this being used for Go Ride activities it will be available for race events - these will require club input into organisation. If they are similar to the Tockwith series this should really be pretty low-maintenance - it's mainly just a few pre-meetings and then running the HQ on the night. If you're happy to be involved in this, please post below.

Again if I missed anything from last night's meeting, please add/correct below!
by Cam B Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:07 pm
PhilBixby wrote: Cam did a brilliant job of organising this year's; it would be great if two new people would take on one event each next year so we spread the knowledge of how to run these things - please post below!

Thanks Phil! My lame excuse on Monday about being on holiday for the first event is not true - I should be around after all! But, I wouldn't mind not organising the NYERRL races next season. I definitely enjoyed the experience and if I'm not actually riding the events this season I should be around to help before with queries or anything else and on the night, etc. There's probably not a great deal to do at this stage. It might be helpful to a bit of liaison with Rich Houghton so he's got the dates as well as Pete Sutton at BC and Fraz at Yorkcyleworks. At some point, the dates will need to go on the calender but as we did not actually get them on for this season until April plenty of time to sort that! It took months to get the course approved but that is sorted now. Apart from that not much to do, aside from basking in the kudos that comes with being called a "Race Organiser!" :wink:

by Cyan Skymoos Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:24 pm
Since I can't ride them next year I should be able to get more involved in the running of the evening league races, or one of them at least. I'll get back to you when I've seen my shift pattern for next year.