Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by Neil Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:47 pm
Hello all,

I'm looking for suggestions for a venue for a 'cross race in York this December. All the Yorkshire points series races are in West or South Yorkshire and I know there are other riders in this area who'd like to race a little closer to home. Pete Sutton at British Cycling has offered support for an event, but needs a venue. Steve Savage has kindly offered Clifton support provisionally too.

My first choice was Knavesmire, specifically the wooded area parallel to Tadcaster Road but the council won't allow it and have offered the area around the Rawcliffe Park and Ride area and the BMX pump track. I've had a look and the parking looks better than the riding!

I've also wondered about Walmgate Stray/ University campus since the terrain is a bit more lumpy.

The date is likely to be the 2nd or the 16th December.

Any suggestions or comments welcome, if nothing else we could have some fun recceing a course!

Neil

by G. Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:35 pm
If you want to cross Walmgate Stray in December, a boat would probably be more suitable than a bike.

There are four strays in York, how about one of the others?

by menticknap Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:59 am
If all goes well, Malton Wheelers are hosting a cross race (tli) on 9th December up at Whitby - now an established course at Caedmon School.

Come and race ours, and we'll come and race yours!

Lets bring cross into North Yorkshire, they all seem to be in West Yorkshire. :x

by like my bike Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:37 pm
How about

York St John University Sports Centre Nestlé Rowntree Park

Jospeh Rowntree school have land between back of school & river foss

Clifton Ings - area near old clifton hospital

Strensall common, area near cattle grid

Knavesmire - area of grass at end of the stands nr. football pitch chanigng area

A J
by MarkL Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:33 pm
I'm not sure what the area is like but is it possible to race somewhere near Elvington airfield? Should be ample parking at the Air Museum and the planes make a nice backdrop.

by like my bike Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:31 am
Hi Neil - maybe we could have a visit to the likely sites to see which is most suitable happy to meet up one evening or weekend.

A J

by Neil Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:25 pm
menticknap wrote:If all goes well, Malton Wheelers are hosting a cross race (tli) on 9th December up at Whitby - now an established course at Caedmon School.

Come and race ours, and we'll come and race yours!

Lets bring cross into North Yorkshire, they all seem to be in West Yorkshire. :x

Hey, if the post-race catering is as good as your Sledmere TT I'm booking a table now!

Neil
by like my bike Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:10 pm
North of England Championships Cyclo-Cross
Sunday 8th Dec 2013

York Sports Village, Lakeside Way, York, YO19 5LA

Race Times Non-championships,
10.00 Under-12/Under-10/Under-8
Enter on the day

Race Times Championship races
11.00 Youth
12.00 Vet 50 | 45 mins | 12.02 Women | 45 mins
13.00 Junior | 45 mins | 13.02 Vet 40 | 45 mins