Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by Tobzlerone Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:03 pm
Just thought I would let you know how I'm doing :)

I finally got my full leg cast of today, which has been replaced with a brace which allows me to bend my leg up to 30 degrees. I'm in this for another 6 weeks.

At the moment it looks like a good 3-4 months before I can get anywhere near a bike, which is a little disheartening. But it certainly could have been worse!

It's good to hear how well everyone is doing

Cheers

Toby

by nigelt Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:17 pm
Excuses! 30 degrees of bend sounds like plenty to me :shock:

Seriously, good to hear you're on the mend, look forward to seeing you back out on the bike later this year. I might even be faster than you for the first one or two rides (unless we go uphill) :D

by Cam B Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:00 pm
Yes, great to hear that you are on the mend Toby. If you are deferring Uni for a year and stopping in York...look forward to seeing you on the training rides at some point :D We will let you sit in the wheels for, ooooh, say a couple of rides , until you get stronger :wink:

by mart66 Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:21 pm
Good to see things are progressing, Toby.

3-4 months - you'll be back out for slow, steady winter rides. I'm sure you'll be escaping the bunch again come spring.

Take it easy.

Martin

by Cyan Skymoos Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:38 pm
30 degree bend..Just get some really small cranks

At your age you'll bounce back real quick, see you on the winter rides.

by Broom Wagon Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:13 pm
Everyone drops me, but it will be an honor and priviledge to be dropped by Toby in spring.

by G. Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:23 pm
Last time a doctor said 1-3 months to me, I was out in 1. Let's hope you do the same. GWS!

by reubenbarrett Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:53 am
Hey Toby, I love your positive attitude and really great to hear that everything mending. That said, what a pain that you won't be on the bike for a while. Do bear in mind that doctors will tend to give you average to worst case estimates on recovery times - given your fitness and motivation you will probably heal up much quicker so keep pushing yourself forward, particularly on getting your range of movement back.

I was given the "all-clear" by doctor yesterday that my broken arm has healed nicely but am still working to get back movement and strength. I did get back on a real bike 3 days ago (hooray!), although it was just my Dutch ladies sit-up-and-beg job. Going to give the road bike a short blast this weekend to discover just how much it hurts! I am aiming to get back to training rides after the autumn break, looking forward to that.

by DamianE Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:54 am
Hi Toby, great to see the positive attitude.

I had a bi-lateral fracture of the patella (smashed both kneecaps for the non medically inclined!) 10 years ago and it took only 3 months to get the range of movement and some strength back. This was much quicker than the doctors and physio's had said but I think it's amazing what the body can do with a cyclists brain controlling it!

Yes it hurt like hell most days but I figured it was only the same as training and I was used to my legs hurting. My advice would be to do all the physio you can and concentrate on getting your full range of movement back if you can. The strength will come back gradually over time hopefully. Mine hasn't but I'm lazy :twisted:

I used a pair of powercranks, http://www.powercranks.com/ in my physio to help me pedal properly. If you want to borrow let me know but watch the videos first!

by Melly Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:37 pm
Nice one Toby keep up the great attitude, good luck and remain positive

by AndyM Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:56 pm
Great to hear you're on the mend Toby :) Your positivity is inspirational.
Also great to hear you're also doing well and are back on the bike Reuben :)

Look forward to seeing you both out and about soon :) Take it easy.

by Tobzlerone Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:57 pm
Thanks for all the messages :) its encouraging to hear all the stories of rapid healing.

Hope to be out with you all soon