Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by fffil Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:55 am
Hi, I'm newly registered but not yet a member of the CCC. I see that you usually have a Saturday ride for 'beginners' shall we say (I think I fit into that bracket with my current level of fitness!).

Is there a ride this Saturday and can I come along? How many riders do you usually get in the group?
Thanks!
Phil

by MarkA Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:07 pm
Link to our Getting Started may assist; contains list of rides and what to expect

http://www.cliftoncc.org/about-us/getting_started

I have no idea on your current level of fitness and how much riding you have done before but if in doubt would suggest starting off with Willys Easy Riders

The Easy Riders are ramping up the distance a bit on a weekend - i think up to 60 miles / 6 hours - but also do ad hoc evening rides

These are generally organised by email; if you want to go on list drop me PM with your email address and will pass on

Have fun

Mark A

by fffil Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:27 pm
Thanks Mark,

Yes, I've found those pages, hence my wish to come along to the K ride. A ride of mine from yesterday (after a short break from cycling due to lack of time and opportunity) - http://app.strava.com/activities/13724306 just to show my current level. I'm might get out again today for a longer ride (but slower) just to see how it goes. I've previously done longer rides (Autumn Epic a couple of years ago in the rain) so the distance doesn't worry me.

It more a question of is there a ride? The CCC calendar says look in the discussion but there doesn't seem to be one, or I can't find it.

Oh, and what are the Willys Easy Riders and do you have a link or similar please?

by MarkA Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:49 am
This weeks rides:

SATURDAY RIDES (from Exhibition Square) - 21st July

9am - Training ride
Non-stop group ride approx 3 hours, see discussion board for more info.

10am - Social rides with cafe stop

Group "A": Dalby Forest Drive. Lunch at Thornton-le-Dale. 87 Miles.
Out via: Howsham - Kirkham - Langton - "Setterington Bank" - Thorpe Bassett - Rillington.
Yedingham - Ebberston - straight across Main A170 to take minor road up to forest drive.

Note: Use Cycle-Path at Rillington to negotiate the narrow bridge On A64, when leaving the Village.

"K" Group: Helmsley. 70 Miles.
Out via: Easingwold - Husthwaite - Ampleforth Avenue.

24:00 - Saturday Midnight, start of Roses Midnight Ride
190 miles, lots of climbing and good lights needed + come prepared with some food.
Should be back in York mid afternoon
If you're planning on riding this ride, have a look at the forum and also please let Rob know you're planning on coming.
Link to the forum post: http://discussion.cliftoncc.org/viewtop ... 9522b1235c

SUNDAY RIDES - Please note: I'm not sure whether this ride will be going ahead this week due to Rob's Challenge ride (Roses Midnight Ride, see above)

9am (from Exhibition Square) - Social ride with cafe stop
See discussion board for more info/ you may want to post on forum to see if anyone else is planning on riding!

If turning up at the square 10am ask for Kevin. There will be few groups leaving at same time and you don't want to end up on the wrong ride!

Discussion means the discussion board and people normally post in the general forum http://discussion.cliftoncc.org/viewforum.php?f=2

I know the Easy Riders are signed up for the August 19th Action Research cycle sportive.

If you drop me Personal Message with your email address will pass onto Willy. (Click the thing which says pm next to profile and email)

by fffil Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:02 am
Thanks Mark, I'll drop you a pm. 70 miles is a bit rich for my blood with my current level of (stamina) fitness. Have a good ride.

by Cyan Skymoos Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:16 am
70 miles with a group isn't like a 70 mile solo ride, and there's a cafe stop half way round. New comers are often surprised how short a ride seems when done in a group...unless you start with the intermediates and you're on the rivett, chewing the bar tape for the last 40 miles, then it feels like a lifetime.

Yes the best way to find out what's going on is to get on the mailing list. Ginnie sends out a weekly update and does a great job.