Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by tomf Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:15 pm
Really sorry to hear about Reuben and Toby's injuries, hope you both get back to fitness soon.
Credit to Cam for making another race happen, sorry I couldn't be there (again!) to help out. But at least that meant I wasn't racing either...
cheers,
tom

by Cam B Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:17 pm
Thanks to all who helped out on the night - Darren, Richard, Rich, Martin, Dave I'A, Dave C, Keith (who got roped in to lend a hand as well). Particular thanks to Nigel who did the job of about 3 people on the night - putting signs out, directing traffic, driving a car and most importantly, being quickly on the scene of the crash (along with Neil Midgley and Chris Fothergill from Rock Racing who were able to assist in first aid). Thanks once again to Phil who was riding the event but was also on hand to help and advise on the night. As I said before, Phil has done loads of stuff behind the scenes (not least of which was answering my many questions!) to get this Series off the ground.

Results:
1. Dan Shoreman
2. Ady Rudd
3. Chris Fothergill
4. Richard Siddle
5. Paul Hickman
6. David Henson
7. Lewis Jackson
8. Ben Roberts
9. Edward Nicholson
10. Mike Salkeld

Here is the Commissaire's (Julie Rodman) write up:

"A superbly run event by Clifton CC this evening on the Thornaby, Wheldrake course on the outskirts of York, the bad thunderstorms subsided for a lovely evening of racing, perfect sunny weather and not a cloud in sight.

Fifty one riders took to the start line for 3 laps of the Wheldrake circuit of 16kms, a few riders tried to get away from the main bunch which on the previous races had ended up in one large bunch gallop.

Tonight eventually one got away then followed the odd riders who grouped into a nice group of six riders with two to go, they worked well with each other and at one point had a 30 second gap. However on the final lap through Thornaby the main bunch decided to try and pull them back with 3km to go, this was to no avail as the break stayed away for a sprint finish with a well deserved win by Daniel Shoreman who had been a constant top ten finisher over the previous weeks. followed by Ady Rudd, then a close call for Chris Fothergill who got third by a lunge followed by RIchard Siddle with Paul Hickman and David Henson taking the 5th and 6th places. 15 seconds later Lewis Jackson who is leading the league won the bunch gallop for 7th from Ben Roberts, Ed Nicholson and Mike Salkeld.

The only disappoint of the night was a crash with 2km to go to the finish from the main bunch a rider went onto the grass then came back into the main bunch and caused the promoting clubs rider Toby Everett Clifton CC to touch wheels bringing down fellow team mate Reuben Barrett with 6 other riders having no where to go. Toby sustained a badly injured knee and various abrasions and went in the ambulance to the hospital along with Ruben who went to check out a shoulder collarbone injury. Luckily for the riders the police were passing through the village and where quickly onto the emergency services. We wish all the riders who fell especially Toby and Reuben a quick recovery.

On a positive note it was lovely to see villagers along the route with signs lifted stating Allez Allez - the Tour de France came to Yorkshire villages tonight."

by Tobzlerone Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:27 pm
Oh yes a BIG thank-you to Nigel and the rock racing guys

by RichT Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:53 pm
Reuben, Toby

Sorry to hear about your crash. Hope you both doing well and are back in the saddle soon!

Rich

by Melly Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:01 pm
Toby, great to hear and see your positive attitude get well soon
Simon

by Tobzlerone Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:06 pm
Not to sure about the commissaries write up, the initial crash happened on the other side of the road, and I thought I went down after Reuben?

by PhilBixby Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:02 pm
Not sure the commissaire had a perfect view of the crash, and it must have all happened very quickly. Reuben certainly reckoned you came down after him. Either way it clearly wasn't your fault, and the commissaire's quite clear it wasn't.

Hope you're getting well looked after and the nursing staff are still of the highest quality - any idea when they're going to release you back into the real world?

by Tobzlerone Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:16 pm
I should be out tommorow :) you can refuse all my entries, the refund money will probably go to a new xbox game!

by Cyan Skymoos Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:38 pm
Julie was in the car in front of the race so I doubt she saw any of the crash, rather she talked to the riders, and people in the following car, and tried to get an idea of what happened that way. I guess with all those bodies, and expensive bits of carbon hitting the tarmac very quickly, it's hard for anyone to get the sequence of events exactly right.

by PhilBixby Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:02 pm
I'll "refuse" your Clifton RR entry, but you'll need to bung a quick email to Maffers and Fraz to get your remaining evening series entries refunded (plus of course anything else you've entered). Xbox eh? I knew it - it'll be women and booze next.... :roll:

by menticknap Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:18 pm
Its really awfull when there is a crash in a race and riders get hurt. It really doesn't happen that often. Its a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Personaly, I knew the race would bunch up towards the finish so made my way towards the front to keep out of mischief. Racing for seventh place shouldn't be that "mad".
Get well soon guys!
Ping me an E-mail and I will refund you.
Maffers.

by reubenbarrett Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:50 pm
Yes Toby, not sure I understand Julie's write up either. The faller that started the chain reaction was in front of me by at least a bike length and had 2 or 3 riders to his left so he wasn't affected by the mystery rider coming off grass verge. I don't know why he fell but the riders were tightly bunched and I guess he got a knock and then couldn't control it. Anyway he fell, then I braked hard, steered to my left to try to avoid him but didnt and then hit him/his bike, and then I remember you coming tumbling past me so you must have been a bike length or so behind me but I guess you hadn't seen him start to fall so hadn't braked as much and were going a bit quicker than me when you crashed, hence why you stopped past me on the road.

Is that what you remember?

I suspect there are 50 different accounts of the same event as it lasts a second or two and everyone has a different perspective. Anyway, I am sure that you didn't knock me off!

by Broom Wagon Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:45 pm
Cam, very sorry for not being there, I had an un-planned meeting in London (sounds like I have a really important job, but honestly I don't) and had no chance getting back in time.

Phil, I will not let you down for Clifton RR, I will be there and can do whatever you need me to.

Terrible news about Rueben and Toby - certainly enough to put anyone off racing.

by Dr Dave Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:05 pm
Tobzlerone wrote:I should be out tommorow :) you can refuse all my entries, the refund money will probably go to a new xbox game!

?? - Black Ops 2 isn't out until November.....

by Tobzlerone Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:16 pm
Your account seems spot on reuben, fits with what I remember.

Not out today, antibiotics have been playing havoc with my stomach, and I am not yet a master of the crutches! And ow, that's a shame haha, I don't fancy been in crutches that long!

On a side note, assuming I get into university, I really hope I get another ride with you all! If I do than you can make the most of the opportunity and cam and Martin can have revenge for me riding away at sheriff hutton!

Looking forward to hearing about more points for clifton!!