Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by Cam B Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:54 pm
Just in case people have missed this:

Thanks to Darren (aka Skymoos), Dave C, Nigel T, Martin (aka Mart66), Rich D, Dave I’A, Broom wagon and Rich T for agreeing to help on the night.

Who’s doing what:
• Rich D and me to do signing on (this officially starts at 6.00pm)

• Darren/Dave C/Nigel T/Martin to drive cars…Darren…You know the circuit, so if you could drive the lead car that would be great.

• Broom wagon and Rich T to help with the judging at the finish. I will ask you to take a few things over to the finish including the masking tape for the finish line, lap board, sail banner and bell.

• Dave I’A to marshall

I will be meeting Nigel at 3.00pm at HQ to put up signage and will be back at HQ hopefully no later than 5.30pm.

We have hired Skipwith Village Hall York Road, Skipwith, York, YO8 5SF as our HQ for the night. Parking is limited. I understand that it would be best if we ask riders to park off the main street but will clarify with the “HQ key holder” when we get there.

Just like Event 1 (at Bishopwood) there will be a briefing at HQ at 6.50pm before riders are led out at neutralised pace to the start.

Race starts at 7.00pm.

It would be useful if someone else could get to HQ for say 5.30pm to help with directing cars to the best place to park. Everyone else to get there for no later than 6.00pm. Any problems - post here or send me a PM. My mobile number on the day is 07765395627

Many thanks
Cam

by Tobzlerone Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:41 pm
Does anyone have a link, or file of the route?

by Tobzlerone Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:18 pm
oh, and one for brandsby?

by PhilBixby Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:43 am
Suspect few people will have route files for it as it's not been used for 3rds/4ths races for a few years. Assuming no changes from then though it's Brandsby - Crayke - Stillington loop (fairly obvious from the map) and then on the final lap go straight on at the entrance to Brandsby, hang a left at the far end of the village and finish about 9/10ths the way up Yearsley Bank. Lovely!

by mart66 Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:13 pm
Guys

Hope the race passed off ok.

I had a disaster as my car managed to conk out on two occasions! Fortunately, Nigel and the first aiders were behind so the comiss. that I was transporting hopped in with him.

I then trundled home at 30mph. I'm not sure what happened to be honest but apologise on behalf of my tired,old car.

Hope the lack of a car didn't cause any problems.

Cam - let me know how I can get the driving expenses back to you. I could send a cheque in the post if that's the best way.

by Cyan Skymoos Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:10 pm
Sounds like you might be needing those expenses Martin.

I was Lead car 1 so didn't see much of the race. Toby and Reuben were involved in a crash last lap, which put a big dampener on an otherwise good night. Lots of skin lost by lots of riders, but Toby was off to hospital in an ambulance, I do hope he's ok.

by Cyan Skymoos Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:15 pm
....does anyone know how Toby and Rueben are?

by mart66 Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:20 pm
Oh no.

I hope no-one was too badly damaged.

by reubenbarrett Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:02 pm
Was on last lap on final stretch and pace was picking up. Had decided that I wasn't feeling that good and was just going to finish with the bunch. I was in the middle of the bunch both front to back and side-side but was not that close to other riders when I saw someone about 1.5 bike lengths in front and slightly to my right start to fall in my path. I had enough time to react thankfully and I braked hard to try to avoid the faller but I hit his bike and went off, landing on right shoulder as before. Then several more piled into me and faller, including Toby.

Damage to me is a lot of road rash, and maybe some damage to shoulder again. Toby fell pretty hard and damaged his knee - ambulance to York hospital for him. There were about 8 involved in all - one other guy thought he had broken his collarbone, most others just road rash.

I went to A&E but queue was 4 hours and I don't feel that bad - I just wanted to make sure I hadn't done any more damage to shoulder so I have gone home and will re-assess in the morning.

Really annoyed about crash as was deliberately riding relatively conservatively and the race had seemed reasonably safe right until that point. I had left enough space in front of me so that I had time to react to faller in front and brake hard but, ultimately, I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Not sure this racing malarkey is for me as don't like coming home in bandages and I really can't think of anything else I could have done in that situation.

Thanks to Phil who brought my bike back (which seems mostly OK) and to Cam/Nigel/Dave for all their offers of help. If anyone has news about Toby, please post on here.

by mattmarsden78 Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:39 pm
Guys,
Toby will be going to theatre in the morning. Unfortunatey his leg is in a bad way with possible snapped tendon and broken knee but will know for sure tomorrow.

I will post again when I know more.

Matt (Toby's Uncle)

by Cyan Skymoos Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:56 pm
Oh crikey! that's such bad luck. Thanks Matt..take care Toby, hope it mends well in time.

by nigelt Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:22 am
I was driving the commissaires / first aiders directly behind the bunch when the crash happened- impossible to see who did what, just a huge tangle of riders and bikes. Toby, Reuben and Stu Davies (From Selby CC) were the only 3 who didn't get up pretty quickly. Reuben seemed dazed and Toby just kept saying that he couldnt move his leg and that his knee hurt.

Reuben thankfully got up shortly after but, as others have said, Toby stayed down until the ambulance arrived. There were 2 paramedics from Rock Racing who were riding so they looked after Toby really well until the ambulance came.

It was nice to see so many Clifton faces showing concern and offering to help.

Sorry to hear your leg needs surgery Toby, hope you get it sorted and it mends quickly.

Same for you Reuben, you certainly lost a lot of skin but I hope you're otherwise okay.

by mattmarsden78 Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:29 am
Just heard from Toby. Any other day I'd be a bit miffed at being woken by a 5am text but I was just glad to hear from him. He seems in fairly good spirits. He assures me that his nurses are "hot" which is easing the pain!! Surgery later this morning to fix the leg but it's going to be quite some time off the bike.

by mart66 Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:09 am
That's really rubbish luck.

Reuben - you've been riding strongly recently and seemed to be really enjoying it, would be a shame if you gave up racing.

Toby - all the best mate. Hopefully you can bounce back as strongly as you did last time.

Martin