Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:10 pm
Another weekend, another elderly gentlefolks race on the Sunday so I'll be shuffling around in my carpet slippers in preparation on Saturday. Does someone fancy suggesting a route and taking a lead in ensuring horse-friendly behaviour out on the road?

In fact, with a few weeks where various races and other events will prevent me being out on Saturdays, would some of the training ride regulars like to pick this up on a weekly basis for a while? :)

by mart66 Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:32 pm
I'll be out. Does anyone know the slightly lumpy route that's not Malton?

I think it's the westerly ride but I may be wrong.
by AndyM Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:33 pm
PhilBixby wrote: Does someone fancy taking a lead in ensuring horse-friendly behaviour

Speaking of four-legged beasts, Bramham International Horse Trials is on this weekend, so the westerly route through Tadcaster-Bramham-Thorner would probably not be such a great idea due to traffic levels.

Phil, I'm happy to lead rides any time :) I won't be available on the 23rd though, and there is a high possibility of me getting lost on the Malton route :? but I'm more than happy to take charge to Boroughbridge or Bramham when we go that way :D

by PhilBixby Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:59 pm
Thanks Andy - looks like you're in charge the next couple of Saturdays! :wink:
Good point re Bramham - you could go west but cut short like we did a few weeks back and do a few fast laps of Bishopwood if you fancy a change?

by AndyM Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:32 pm
Oky doke, so if someone in the square on Saturday confidently knows the Malton route we'll do that (Toby/Cam/Tim?), as I think I would rather do some hills than laps, but if no-one sticks their hand up we'll head to Bishopwood :)

Does that sound good to everyone?

And then we'll head west next week, on the 16th.

by Tobzlerone Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:39 pm
hey, sorry, but i cant make it on Saturday, i have a physics exam on Monday that i should probably be revising for....

by Dr Dave Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:47 am
AndyM wrote:Oky doke, so if someone in the square on Saturday confidently knows the Malton route we'll do that (Toby/Cam/Tim?), as I think I would rather do some hills than laps, but if no-one sticks their hand up we'll head to Bishopwood :)

Does that sound good to everyone?

And then we'll head west next week, on the 16th.

Not sure what my plans are this w/e so may be along

Just as an aside: if the events you have entered have hills then training on hills makes sense but if not then ? laps are more 'race specific'

by Cam B Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:07 am
Not out tomorrow...Racing on Sunday...have a nice ride
by timj Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:10 pm
me too

by AndyT Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:35 pm
Thanks for the company guys. Nearly managed a whole half lap of Bishopswood before getting dropped!

Came back with a nice tailwind through Cawood, just shy of 50 miles and 19.5mph average for out of town.

Andy

by AndyM Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:53 pm
I rode into York rather apprehensively expecting, due to recent weather and the weekend's races, to only find a couple of others in the square for a 3-up in that strong wind. I was happily proven wrong as a good group of 7 of us left the square bound for Bishopwood.

We headed out via Tadcaster, Ulleskelf, Church Fenton and onto the circuit where we road round to the start-finish straight. After watering the verge and a quick bite to eat we began our 4 laps of the circuit. The first lap was knocked off in around 15:30 and the second and third were pretty much identical to each other at 14:55. I don't know how that compares to previous training rides?

We managed to avoid the showers in the most part too, which is always a bonus. Thanks for the ride guys, enjoyed it.

Hope all taking part in races have got on well, and good luck with your exam Toby!

Andy