Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by DamianE Thu May 17, 2012 8:49 pm
Well done Toby! Also well done to all involved as it passed off without any obvious hitch. Marshalled this one, have entered most of the rest so see you in 2 weeks.

by Cyan Skymoos Thu May 17, 2012 9:00 pm
Yeah great job done by Cam, organising his first race. The finish took a little sorting, but someone had a camcorder which was a big help.

by AndyM Thu May 17, 2012 9:11 pm
Big thanks to all those involved in organising and helping out tonight :) Event seemed to run like clockwork. Well done also to Toby for your first top 10 and your first win! And finally, good luck to all those racing the Yorkshire divs at the weekend, hope the race goes well!
by timj Thu May 17, 2012 9:40 pm
Well done Toby looked good all race as did all Clifton lads.Heres to the next one.Hope everything went ok Cam looked a good job done.

by Cyan Skymoos Thu May 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Bad luck with the mechanical Andy, you're another one who will get in the results for sure.

by tomf Thu May 17, 2012 10:32 pm
Thanks to Cam for getting it all together and congrats to Toby! Nice to see Good Racing Weather for a change too. Lollypop stop-signs seemed to keep the drivers in line, everything went smoothly at our junction anyway.
tom

by reubenbarrett Fri May 18, 2012 6:20 am
Well done Toby! And thanks to Cam and everyone involved in making this series happen. All very smoothly organised. I am looking forward to racing in 2 weeks time!

by PhilBixby Fri May 18, 2012 8:41 am
Well, the new North Yorkshire Evening RR League is up and running. Full marks to Cam for getting last night to happen, to everyone from the club who helped out either on the night or behind the scenes, and to everyone else who marshalled, drove, or otherwise supported. The short notice meant it wasn't a full field, but numbers were still pretty good with just under forty, and the remaining series events are filling up very fast.

The traffic management seemed to work very well - feedback from the club lollipop-holders appreciated. View from within the race was that there was lots of extra confidence at junctions - knowing there would be no rogue traffic to contend with. That just left the shockingly bad cornering to make things interesting... :)

It may have been 4ths-only but the race didn't hang around - numbers on the box show a gnat's-winkie under 25mph average for 33.5 miles. The still weather made it hard for anyone to split up the race; I parked myself around fifth wheel pretty much for the duration just in case anything interesting took off but it was just an occasional solo attack (full marks to Martin for his - as he ploughed up the railway bridge about 30sec in front of the bunch there was a murmered chorus of "well I didn't think he'd get that far..") - all of which got pulled back. Great riding by Toby for his win - much-deserved as he was up front for the whole race - and a good top-ten by Martin in what - his second or third race?

I kept getting asked "what power'r ya doing, Phil" on the way round so:- average 245W, 18% of the time freewheeling(!) and the graph for the final straight shows where it all went wrong; I followed the wheel of someone who looked strong on the early gallop from the junction but he conked halfway and I ended up braking - not recommended. About 450W average for that last minute (ie about what Jens Voigt will do for two hours in a TdF break).

Next, Escrick!

by Cam B Fri May 18, 2012 11:15 am
Great stuff Toby...and Martin!
Just to reiterate what's has been said: Thanks to all who helped behind the scenes and on the night. Big thanks to Phil who has done loads of stuff behind the scenes to get this off the ground and for 'mentoring' me in the Organiser role and answering my many questions...

We are down to organise Event 4 in the League on 28 June at Escrick. When the dust has settled on last night I will see where we are with volanteers and see what gaps we need to fill

cheers

Cam

by nigelt Fri May 18, 2012 11:54 am
Not a lollipop holder, but the commissaire in my car was very happy with the traffic management and made several comments that it was nice to see it done properly for a change!

Well done to all of the guys who raced, i had the benefit of the car speedo so could see the speeds that were being churned out, very impressive!

For the club to get a win and good placings makes things even more worthwhile!!

by Cyan Skymoos Fri May 18, 2012 12:56 pm
4th cat race at 25mph average! that isn't hanging about is it. I think Elite and first cat races have always been hard, but the 2nd 3rd, and now 4th cats are stronger than they were in my day.

by menticknap Fri May 18, 2012 2:31 pm
A really well organised race!
I was driving the car just infront of the peloton - a first for me and am pretty glad I did it. It was an intersting angle of a race and was really surprised how fast us riders go round the corners. There were some parts on the course that I had to really put the pedal to the metal!
I'd like to reiterate that the traffic management team did a great job, not only for the riders, but also for the car drivers - no need to look around for other cars on the junctions and using all the road. I quickly gained confidence in taking the racing line in the car! :wink:

Fantastic to have a Clifton win for the Clifton race. Brill.

by Tobzlerone Fri May 18, 2012 3:08 pm
I would also like to thank everyone for a very well organised event. As for me, i cant really believe it! All that could have happened for me at Bishopwood has.. forgetting my shoes, a crash and somehow, a win.

I certainly intend on racing the others, cant make Escrick due to one of the clifton TT's but i'm looking forward to racing something with some hills thrown in there.

Thanks again, and well done Martin for two very good efforts, especially when you were saying before hand that you would just be happy to finish in the group.

Cheers

Tobz