Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by reubenbarrett Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:37 pm
Thanks to shoulder injury, I probably won't be back to full fitness for a while so I've been looking round for some racing to do this Autumn. I have found one road bike criterium series in Middlesborough in September but apart from that, the pickings are pretty thin.

So I am wondering about cyclocross. I don't know very much about it apart from needing a bike with knobbly tyres and being able to jump on and off every so often.

Can anyone offer any advice? What are best local events for novices / vets? Are there any local groups for training to get started? Any advice welcome.

by menticknap Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:56 pm
1. You will get a ride! Just turn up on the day.
2. You will get muddy.
3. You will get cold.
4. You will fall off.
5. Its damn good fun!

by Tobzlerone Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:13 pm
Hillclimbs? ;)

by like my bike Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:43 am
Nearly all the Yorkshire Events are in West Yorkshire, there is a mid week summer series, but thats probably to soon for your recovery -

Senior Race starts at 7.30

2012 Yorkshire Summer Cyclo-Cross Series

02/05/12 Oakbank School, Keighley
16/05/12 TBC
06/06/12 Colne Valley High School, Huddersfield
13/06/12 Kippax 1
27/06/12 TBC
11/07/12 Brooksbank School, Elland
18/07/12 Kippax 2
25/07/12 Brighouse High School
08/08/12 Newsome High School, Huddersfield

The Winter Series starts September until Jan/Feb there are races pretty much every weekend, you will always get a ride if you turn up on the day there are usually a couple of hundred riders across all races, so there a good atmosphere.

Typical Winter Race day looks like

10:30 Youth
11:30 Under-12
12:30 VW (40 mins)
14:00 SJ (60 mins)

More info when its released will be at http://www.yorkshirecyclocross.org.uk/

There are some evening coaching sessions during the winter season at Wakefield.

Cross is full on effort for the duration, great fun, will improve fitness and bike handling skills, there are riders of all abilities so most people get a race out of it.

If you decide to give it a go or have may questions drop me a line.

A J

by reubenbarrett Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:08 pm
Andy, thanks very much indeed for such a comprehensive reply - that is great. Gives me a good place to get started.

From the couple of replies I note the word "fun" in both so it seems like I should give this a blast just for the experience.

On other news, York Cycleworks have been amazing in dealing with my crashed Cervelo. The frame failed just above the rear derailleur dropout but all other components are pretty much free from damage apart from some scratches. So Cycleworks returned the frame to Cervelo/Madison to ask that the frame would be covered under warranty. And, thanks to Sam, I will be getting a shiny new R3 in early May! So thanks Sam. Another good reason to support your friendly LBS! (Yes Sam, I will collect my commission next time I'm in!).

by Cyan Skymoos Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:44 pm
You could always ride the 3 peaks cyclo cross, it's a classic. I keep saying I'll ride it one day, but I've been saying that since about 1989.
Most of the Cycleworks guys have ridden it, you could pick brains down there when you're getting fitted up for the cross bike.

by reubenbarrett Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:00 pm
That looks like diving straight in at the deep end! Looks very hard!
by YorkCycleworks Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:52 pm
Come on you can do it. If a fat bloke like me can get round the 3 Peaks. You'll blast it. Regards Fraz
by reubenbarrett Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:40 pm
YorkCycleworks wrote:Come on you can do it. If a fat bloke like me can get round the 3 Peaks. You'll blast it. Regards Fraz

Haha! So in the red corner we have Fraz goading me into the most mental of races ever created and in the blue corner we have Darren who's wanted to do it for 23 years but has realised it is mad so hasn't done it...

I am tempted... but still think it looks totally insane - I thought cyclocross was more about muddy rides around a park but this is a different thing altogether!

Darren - going for it this year?

by Cyan Skymoos Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:29 pm
I should whilst I've still got all my faculties, but I probably won't. The allotment is increasingly occupying my time, and thoughts now.

by Chris Clark Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:47 pm
Daz can you even run? I'm not sure I can picture that !?!!
by like my bike Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:12 pm
North of England Championships Cyclo-Cross
Sunday 8th Dec 2013

York Sports Village, Lakeside Way, York, YO19 5LA

Race Times Non-championships,
10.00 Under-12/Under-10/Under-8
Enter on the day

Race Times Championship races
11.00 Youth
12.00 Vet 50 | 45 mins | 12.02 Women | 45 mins
13.00 Junior | 45 mins | 13.02 Vet 40 | 45 mins
14.30 Senior | 60 mins

Entry via British Cycling website, entry closes 4th Dec 2013

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/event ... ps#summary

A J

by mart66 Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:43 pm
One race was enough for me, Reuben.

The only advice that I can give is don't wear white Sidis and white knee warmers. Although, unlike me, you've probably worked that out.

Good luck

Martin