Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by timj Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:19 pm
What time does it start at moment?

by paulM Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:22 pm
18:15 for ours Tim.

by mart66 Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:10 am
Does anyone from Clifton go out on the Cycleworks chain gang?

I'm off work on Thursday so thinking of giving it a go.

Cheers

Martin

by Cyan Skymoos Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:40 pm
I was there with a few other Clifton last week. The line-out was much faster than anything I've done over winter, and I'm gonna give it a miss for a few weeks.
I need a few races in my legs before I'm ready for the Cycleworks gang :lol:

by DamianE Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:06 pm
Yeah, I did it last week too with Darren and Cam. We were all there at the 'finish' but I suspect only just ;-) it was a strange one. About an hour of 'Saturday' type speed but they do really long turns at the front so after a few minutes you're blowing a bit. Or at least I was as I had the misfortune of hitting the front with Jamie Sharpe over a couple of drags! The burn up at the end was really fast, had to miss a few turns even with the Carbon wheels in! Go and try to hang on. What doesn't kill you makes you faster. Or something like that.

by mart66 Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:24 pm
On second thoughts......

If you two struggled - I'll definitely give it a miss.

by Cyan Skymoos Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:41 pm
Yeah a big group became a small group very quickly.... It always feels safe to me on that group, I think everyone knows what they're doing.

by Cyan Skymoos Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:43 pm
You will be fine Martin, you'll get in a group of good riders.

by DamianE Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:07 pm
Go try it Martin. Avoid the very front and you'll do the majority of the ride no problem. There are no sudden changes in pace or nasty bends etc. like Darren says once it gets going there aren't going to be any muppets in that group. Just don't hang at the back mind because once somebody let's the wheel go, you ain't catching them. If you see it hotting up get round the people in front ASAP. They won't mind you sitting on the back so long as you don't get in the way and you tell people when they need to follow the wheel. A simple "up" should work.

by paulM Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:47 pm
I'll second the above. I too was out with Cycleworks last Thursday but got caught out a bit after Crayke as its a few years since I've been out with them and I wasn't expecting it to kick off quite where it did. I didnt really have the legs anyway having gone better on our chaingang on the Tues night. I seem to go better on Tues nights generally anyway - could be just me getting old?
But I'm racing this Sunday and don't think 2 chaingangs and a race is necessarily a recipe for success (especially after the effort required just to maintain forward momentum last night!). I'll probably head for the hills for 30 miles tomorow - its good to mix things up a bit otherwise you just seem to be riding hard all the time.

by DamianE Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:03 pm
Hi Paul, don't think we've been introduced but I would agree with you about Tuesdays. Thought i was going to have to sit up last night, I felt awful. Felt much better last week! I'm blaming the winter bike. Ahem. Is always harder the fewer people there are so I (hope) that was a hard ride yesterday. Be a few weeks before I'm out again, time to get fitter... Or fatter :(

by Cyan Skymoos Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:52 pm
Yeah, riding chaingang hard all the time isn't the way to go, not for me anyway. I suppose it's ok if you don't race.
The best rider to come out of York in the last 20 years never went on the chaingang.

by paulM Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:01 pm
Dont worry Damien that was a hard ride - I've not done that ride in those conditions before - I was in full winter kit - and we've been doing it 18 years. It must have been cold - even Jon Cocker was wearing leg warmers! I was quite glad he was out as it gave me something to hide behind!
Yes quite glad I wasnt chainganging tonight the legs werent what they were on Tuesday but I stuck to me plan and did a few climbs which broke things up a bit without going crazy. If I can get an hours steady ride in on Saturday that will do fine.

by mart66 Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:31 am
Braved the cycleworks chain gang last night. Slightly daunted when i spotted someone on full TT bike complete disc wheel.

Pace was surprisingly steady for first hour but shot up after Crayke (i think). At this point my turns at the front reduced dramatically and then stopped altogether (unlike Cam who was looking very strong). Managed to hang onto to the front group though.

Good work out for me as the pace seemed to change quite a lot in the last part which led to lots of sprinting to try and keep in contact.

by Chris Clark Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:41 pm
Hopefully more riders will come out with us over the year. I'm going to start making the through & off bit longer, 60% of the ride. Like in the old days this will be a reasonably steady affair for all to contribute. Then, closer to York we shall have essentially a free for all for a real test after an hour long line out.
For many it will be a good experience & opportunity to learn the craft especially during direction changes.

For now, Tuesday is the Pocklington route and when it's a bit lighter Thursday is Easingwold.
If your racing I think sitting in is a good idea just with a few efforts.

More importantly I'd like to see some younger riders getting to the front - Not just us oldies.

Good to see three Clifton jerseys on Thursday right at the death. Chapeau.

Cheers, Chris