Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:36 am
"...any confirmation regarding the Doncaster race..."

Start sheet arrived today (yours probably has too) - RichD, Muzzy, Tim, you and me. Same (shortened) circuit as used for the Tumby's 2/3/4 race a few weeks back. Excellent!

by mart66 Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:15 am
Marvellous!

Anyone got a link to the route?

Thanks

Martin

by PhilBixby Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:51 pm
Back from my final race of my ninth season... ...typically for this year my level of ability meant I wasn't too involved up front - unlike Muzzy, Martin and surprise appearance RichD who all had a go at some point - but was comfortably in the bunch throughout and picked my way through the usual "early hopefuls" in the sprint to finish about 20th. Just under 25mph and 245W Normalised Power for 50 miles, so not entirely hanging around. Caroline decided that duty demanded she attend one race at least every three years despite spectating not being her fave passtime, and commented that the pace was slow enough that she could at least spot me in the bunch. Maybe that's 3rds/4ths races for you, or maybe I'm just getting older...

by mart66 Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:12 am
Strange race for me. I don't think I've done a RR on such a short circuit.

The drag up to the finish seemed to split the bunch but it all came back together each time we turned into the wind on the back straight.

I decided that I would sit in and wait for the finish; however,on the last lap, inspired by seeing RichD at the front of the bunch, I had a rush of blood and decided to try to reel in the break.

My joy of racing away from the group was shortlived as I got stuck in no man's land adn had to sit up and wait! Needless to say I had very little left for the last drag up to the finish and placed somewhere in the middle of the group.

One more left for me until the end of the season.[/code]

by mart66 Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:45 am
Good day for Clifton on Sunday at the Army Road race.

Congratulations to Andy and Cam who finished in the top ten after being at the front all race.

**Andy - the provisional results are out and they've missed you out of the places! The organisers have previous with this as they did it with me a few weeks ago and it transpires that it's happened a few times. You should contact the organiser, Kieran. They usually video the finish so should be able to have a look at it again. That was a great result so you don't want to be robbed of it!

Less excitingly, I sat in the middle of the bunch, did nothing and finished in the middle of the bunch. I would have been happy with that in April but was pretty disappointed. My new season's resolution is to ride at the front more.

Martin

by Cam B Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:45 pm
mart66 wrote:**Andy - the provisional results are out and they've missed you out of the places! The organisers have previous with this as they did it with me a few weeks ago and it transpires that it's happened a few times. You should contact the organiser, Kieran. They usually video the finish so should be able to have a look at it again. That was a great result so you don't want to be robbed of it!

Martin

Andy was definitely in about 6th place...Andy and I have both emailed Organiser but (me at least) not received a reply yet. After a bit of lay-off in August due to holiday hadn’t planned to do another race but after a couple of Sat. training rides in sunny weather I made a last minute decision to have one final last ‘Hurrah’ before the end of season. Didn’t think I had quite the level of fitness as a few weeks ago but probably helped me in the race a little as I had to use my head a bit more. Managed to have 2 or 3 digs but nothing of any substance. Two strong lads did get away for 2 laps before they were reeled back in. Frustratingly, there seemed to be a concerted effort from a few riders to ride at an honest steady pace all the time. Even after the 2 escapees were caught there was some one trying to get everyone to do thru and off ...when there was no-one up the road!! Managed 10th in the sprint (if the results stand :? ). I think the three of us probably felt a little frustrated as we could have all fared a little better. In other races I have certainly sprinted harder than that and got nothing! My first ever BC point though so nice to get off the mark at last :D ...A mere 10 more performances like this next season and I will be sailing up to 3rd Cat. status :wink:

by AndyM Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:45 pm
As Martin and Cam have said - Army road race for me this weekend. It was pretty chilly - car said 7 degrees when I arrived in the car park - but wrapped up and began a warm up.

Classic Milby circuit, so knew the roads well which is always a bonus. Managed to stay in the first 20 or so riders throughout most of the race. Break of two went clear on the first lap and did well to stay away for a couple of laps, but 20 or so guys on the front of the peloton got organised and reeled them in. Had a few half-hearted digs off the front myself but only succeeded in getting a decent gap with one other guy, so I wimped out as I didn’t think I’d be strong enough to stay clear. On the last lap two guys managed to get a few metres clear, one of which I was following in the bunch. I only thought he was moving up so didn't follow his wheel straight away. The guys at the front of the bunch started to look at eachother so I pulled them back by myself. After that I just sat in for the big bunch gallop, where I took 7th. The run in was a bit sketchy, and a few guys touched wheels so was quite pleased I stayed confident, managing to hold my ground in the first 10 wheels coming into the sprint, because in my previous races I've always been much too far back to even contest the finish. However, as Cam said, the sprint didn't feel quick and I had another gear in me, but I just didn't have the confidence then to look around and move across into a gap to grab another placing or two - I guess that'll come with experience.

Anyway, another well run race on that fun circuit (though not quite a Clifton RR ;) ). 7th place means I'm 1 point away from 3rd cat after my first season which is of course a little frustrating, but I've certainly learnt a lot in my first races and look forward to racing more next year!

Cam and Martin – I e-mailed the organiser and he replied very quickly (maybe check your spam folder, Cam, as it appeared there for some reason), and hopefully the results will get sorted out.

by Cyan Skymoos Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:08 pm
Well done guys, and well done for racing through till the end of September, my head always falls off in August with thoughts of cafe stops and evenings in the pub.

I think we've probably chalked up more points than the club have achieved for a fair few years and they've come from more than just Muzzy for a change, so a good year I reckon and bodes well for next year.

by like my bike Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:34 pm
Clifton CC 2012 regional point scores

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/clubpo ... nal&rid=12

2012 = 73 points (6 riders scoring)

2011 = 10 points (1 riders scoring)

2010 = 6 points (1 riders scoring)

2009 = 1 point (1 riders scoring)

2008 = 32 point (2 riders scoring)

2007 = 93 point (6 riders scoring)

Great job to everyone

A J

by Melly Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:51 pm
Andy, I may be wrong but i think the final tally could be higher as Andy Myers finished in at least 6th last Sunday in the Army Union Road race at Dishforth and was not credited with his finish position.

Simon

by Broom Wagon Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:50 pm
Gah...I'd think I was the dog's doo dars if I had even one point on there :(

by paulM Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:03 pm
Its great to see some success getting shared round a bit and I'm pleased its not me heading up a list of 1 for a change for not doing very much!
However there are thirty something points missing off this list thanks to the way BC points work, despite them all being scored on North Yorks roads. And the clubs second highest points scorer doesnt feature at all on this list and it isnt me.
Basically if you want to score regional points dont enter hard races or race in another region! And we're both still waiting for our medals!

by Tobzlerone Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:51 pm
I couldn't resist one last post ;)

I did the hillclimb today as a way of saying my crash wasn't season ending! I believe I came second to bottom with a time of 9.37, i didn't have any knee pain either which is totally awesome!

See you all soon :)

Cheers
Toby