Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:58 pm
Since the feedback from the past couple of Saturdays has been positive, and the race season ever closer (but the start of the chaingang still a couple of weeks off) I'm suggesting we do another "laps-based" session on Saturday - Bishopwood again as a final dry-run opportunity for the lucky few who got entries in Seacroft Wheelers and a general "let's get this thing over 24mph" chance for the rest of us.

Weather forecasts are conflicting but the usually-reliable Metcheck reckons 11-12c and dry with virtually no wind - if that comes off, we'll be doing very well. 9:00 in the square, and I reckon we're well into race-bikes-and-no-mudguards territory now.

Lastly since I'm guessing they'll have their feet up in preparation on Saturday, good luck to those heading down south for Sunday's Fleche Waltonne!

by mart66 Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:29 am
Sounds good

Just had my entry returned for the dirt wheels race on 1 April. Anyone get in?

by Cyan Skymoos Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:54 pm
Just had my entry returned for the dirt wheels race on 1 April. Anyone get in?[/quote]

I've had an email saying they've had over 100 entries for the 3/4 race and they will inform those successful on 19th March. I've asked Pam Clay if she would put me in the E123 instead, but had no reply. I should've entered the elite race, but I was fat and slow when I was sending off entry forms.

by PhilBixby Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:06 pm
A select group of (I think) eleven out today - clearly all people who could look a grey and threatening sky in the eye and not back down. A trouble-free ride out to Bishopwood and then a mass pee and gilet-removal, and off we went.

Following a first lap at a good steady pace the numbers in the group fluctuated a bit as a few people took laps out before rejoining, but the "five laps" group of about seven continued working well together. Timings (from some rather frantic button-pressing on the box on the bars, so not 100% reliable) was:-

Lap 1 13m26s 23.8mph (238W)
Lap 2 13m41s 23.6mph (233W)
Lap 3 13m37s 23.7mph (227W)
Lap 4 13m33s 23.7mph (234W)
Lap 5 13m30s 23.7mph (276W)

It started raining increasingly heavily during the last couple of laps so we all looked a bit "Paris-Roubaix" on the return run, and there was plenty of shivering going on. A good session though - some tidy group riding and not a bad pace given we were tip-toeing round the corners. Repeat next week and work at cranking it up another notch?

by nigelt Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:30 pm
Thanks for this morning, really good and showed me just how far I need to go before I can hold my own with the bunch at something around race pace. Happy with my 2 1/2 laps with the group and next time will aim to improve on this.

I definitely need to work on pacing my efforts rather than just going for it from the off and blowing so early, but as I said, a good lesson for me this morning and something to build on for the season...

Not out next Sat as I've got the Cheshire Cat on Sunday, but after that I'll be back to it :D :D

by Tobzlerone Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:47 pm
Great ride today, first training ride on the new bike, felt amazing. Either this bike is fast or my old one is slow because I was pretty surprised to be feeling so good.

And now I know not to sprint too early :L bring on next Sunday!

Cheers

Tobz

by nigelt Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:00 pm
I suspect it was a combination of the new bike and the matching shoes that did it! :D
by timj Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:50 pm
Hi all
Did the same as Phil today but no power only HR AV SPD
80 miles in total for me av spd 19.2mph
4 hr 12mins total
Lap times sameish my hr av balancing between 150 /160 not a good indicator of effort with my max HR somewhere near 180.Computer does not do HR limits on lap times but it was in between 150/170 for 1hr6 mins for the 4 hrs riding25 seconds above and 3hrs 5mins below so you can be pretty sure that hour was on the laps .Enjoyed today except i was one of those shivering on my way home.Anyway it is a good curcuit for those lap efforts and good riding in testing conditions cheers

by mart66 Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:09 pm
I think the brutal session that you all endured last week paid dividends as the pace seemed high today. Managed the full 5 but had to miss a few turns.

Good riding guys.

by Cyan Skymoos Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:28 pm
Those average speeds seem to have shot up since I last did a training ride.

by PhilBixby Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:11 am
That's why we're doing these rides! I know five laps of Bishopwood isn't everyone's cup o' tea, but it really is the place for simply getting on with winding up the pace in a group - safely. It was a steady ride out and back (as Tim's numbers show) but the time doing the laps was approaching 3rds/4ths/vets race speeds. As I've said before, I'm hoping everyone's doing other stuff at other times, but for those who've been out on Saturdays (especially newcomers to racing) the first events of the season shouldn't be too much of a shock to the system...

by Cyan Skymoos Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:39 am
I'm in the Dirtwheels, yippee!! 2 other Clifton and a few others who've been on the training rides this winter, and quite a few other names I remember.
Should be fun, I'm all excited, I'm gonna attack from the gun... there, I've put it out there :lol:

by mart66 Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:56 pm
I got a rejection last week but an acceptance email this week!

Good news (I hope!!)

by reubenbarrett Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:24 pm
I have also received my acceptance for Dirtwheels. Plan to cling on to Darren's wheel for dear life the first 1/2 lap and then am hoping for a miracle for the remainder....

by reubenbarrett Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:25 pm
PS, anyone got a GPS of the course for Dirtwheels?