Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by Cyan Skymoos Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:49 pm
I was only joking Reuben, I've been pottering round with the over 70's for the last few weeks, I'll probably get spat out the back on the first lap.

I think it's on the Bland Hill circuit, quite Hard, and I've raced it maybe half a dozen times in the 90's. The elite racing always used to split to bits, Never done a 3/4 but I think it might be similar. Sorry don't have a gps, that would just confuse me. My advice for this week and next would be some hard big gear hill repeats..good luck guys.

by Cyan Skymoos Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:03 pm
Yes that's the one they usually use. there was also a longer version down to Harlow but I can't see them taking it down ther anymore. It's a long climb up to the finish..the race which sticks in my memory up there is the div champs in 96 which did 9 laps, I think, for a tad under 100 miles...all racing should be at least 90 miles.

by PhilBixby Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:06 pm
That's the Pennypot circuit which was used a fair bit until recently. It's certainly a circuit that split up the 3/4 and 2/3/4 races I've done on it. Main excitements are the descent of Pot Bank (very grippy surfacing but two sharp bends), then there's a short climb which follows and then the long, long drag westwards before another swooping descent and the turn east to the climb up to the finish line near Little Alms Cliff.

Piece of cake for anyone on a light bike though, Reuben.. :wink:

by paulM Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:24 pm
Its worth checking out Pot Bank - I had a nasty experience on it (although before they applied the anti slip surface) in the Div Champs Darren mentioned. You really cannot afford to get it wrong there!
I had a top 20 in the Ellis Briggs GP but a long way behind Chris Newton who won it and 5th in a 2/3 behind Jamie Sharpe - both about 10 years ago. Its a good circuit but a lot depends on the day - if its windy its a nightmare. Yeah - practice some short uphill big ring sprints! The climb into Sheriff is ideal!

by reubenbarrett Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:51 am
Piece of cake for anyone on a light bike though, Reuben..

Light bike, fat rider... sadly too many "pieces of cake" (plus curry/beer) recently and not enough riding. My children seem to bring home every germ possible from school/nursery and haven't been on my bike at all for 9 days now... Will be lucky to last one lap at this rate!