Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:29 pm
General consensus seems to be to continue the past couple of weeks' format of doing fast circuits as a group to get the speed up ready for the commencement of hostilities. Suggestion for this week is that we ride out to Escrick and do three laps of the proposed evening RR circuit there. I know Tom's raised issues about the road surface on one stretch (and I've now spoken to the highways dept about repairs); it's rough but even if it's unsuitable for a bunch of sixty, we should get a dozen through safely and it'll give those of us involved in organising the evening races a chance to really see if it's a show-stopper.

09:00 in the square, forecast looks gloomy but warm and dry!

by mart66 Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:28 am
Can't make this week. I've a group of friends coming up. I've promised to take them out on a ride through the glorious N Yorkshire countryside.

They may be disappointed if I took them to a lap based training session!

Have a good one.

by ChrisC Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:27 pm
i should be there. i am not that fit at themoment not sure i can take the pace of high speed laps so i will probably go old school and do the malton route

by reubenbarrett Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:19 pm
I can't make it this week or next which is a real shame as I really need the practice at Bishopwood. Have fun!

by PhilBixby Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:17 pm
A sizeable group out again this morning, with the Cliftonites topped up by a Cycleworks-and-friends contingent including, alarmingly, Jamie Sharpe. We set off via the backroads (and some lip from impatient car drivers down Fulford Road), shed gilets and contents of bladders just outside Wheldrake, and kicked off three laps of the proposed evening race circuit.

The front group slimmed down steadily throughout the first lap, eventually settling into about eight riders sharing the work and moving at a brisk pace. It diminished a bit more on the second lap and by the third, as Mr Sharpe basically took over duties on the front and wound it up, it was down to five. Just under 23½mph for 34 miles; Normalised power 243W. How was it for everyone else?

General consensus on the dodgy bit of road was that it was bad but rideable, and we may end up with just as bad if we switch to Milby. I'll chase up NY Highways and see if we can get the worst of the holes filled.

by Cam B Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:19 pm
You rode really well today Phil as did Damien again (someone get that man a racing license!) I was not quite at the races today. Legs went about third of the way round the last lap. But it was good to be taken out of one's comfort zone by someone like Jamie who looked super-strong... First vets race next week for me and looking forward to it but if it's as hard as today I'm in trouble :shock: But it's still early March and there's plenty of races in the season ..With a few chaingangs under my belt should be more acustomed to the pain!

Re: road surface. I don't think that the surface has deteriorated too much over the last 12 months. It certainly shakes the bones about a bit but could not see any major potholes of note.

by DamianE Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:34 pm
Man alive. I need new handlebars and stem as I ate mine on that third lap! I was under the impression that was Phil Graves no? Whoever it was, he'd had more ready brek than I had this morning. That's a surprisingly tough circuit especially when you're under the kosh but I would keep an eye on the surface. In a race people get tired and don't pay much attention and some of those gaps could take you unawares. Whereabouts is the finish on there Phil? Have a rare pass out for Sunday this week so a quick 3 hours on the summer bike await in the morning. See you next week guys.

by PhilBixby Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:41 am
"Whereabouts is the finish on there Phil?"

Finish is on the long straight stretch of road just after Thorganby, so at least that bum bit of road is fairly early in the lap. Will attempt to get the worst of the holes sorted prior to the races.

by Cyan Skymoos Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:35 am
[quote="Cam B"]You rode really well today Phil as did Damien again (someone get that man a racing license!) I was not quite at the races today. Legs went about third of the way round the last lap. But it was good to be taken out of one's comfort zone by someone like Jamie who looked super-strong... First vets race next week for me and looking forward to it but if it's as hard as today I'm in trouble :shock: But it's still early March and there's plenty of races in the season ..With a few chaingangs under my belt should be more acustomed to the pain!

I don't think anyone as strong as Jamie will be racing with the vets.
You might benefit from doing the thursday gang from cycleworks Cam. It can end up as motor pacing behind Jamie, and it will be even more offensive to the eyes now with the Green of Hope Racing to go with the blue/orange/red of cycleworks, but they're a good set of lads.

by willhub Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:31 am
Any ride with Jamie Sharp in is one hell of a training session, last year I was out on some of the cycleworks chaingangs and you could be averaging well over 25 for some time.

by Cam B Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:54 am
I don't think anyone as strong as Jamie will be racing with the vets.
You might benefit from doing the thursday gang from cycleworks Cam. It can end up as motor pacing behind Jamie, and it will be even more offensive to the eyes now with the Green of Hope Racing to go with the blue/orange/red of cycleworks, but they're a good set of lads.[/quote]

Thanks for the tip Darren. Hideous colour combinations aside, may well give these go.. I am guessing they start after clocks go foward...6.00pm from Cycleworks?

by mart66 Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:02 pm
I take it the chaingang is pretty invaluable when it comes to getting up to race pace. Unfortunately, they seem to start too early for me.

Does anyone know of any in the Hull/E Yorks region as I work over there (I think someone mentioned that they trained over that way)?

Cheers

by Cyan Skymoos Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:32 pm
Yes Cam, 6pm from the shop.

I think the chaingangs are quite tame now with the flat line-outs, even fat old men like me can get around. Just get tucked in behind Jamie and spin up the 53/15.... The gangs of the 90's around Malton/Terrington and Bulmer/Sheriff were proper hardcore chaingangs.

Mart, I'm sure there must be a gang in the Hull area, plenty of clubs out that way and you've got the very popular Jim's training races on saturday mornings. You could check the Hull Thursday website.

by PhilBixby Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:35 pm
Damian's done some of the training rides which coach Jim Sampson organises, but don't know if anyone else has recently trained out there. Matt from Malton looks in on here occasionally - know anything, Matt? Alternatively check websites for the local clubs - Hull Thursday / VC Beverley etc. They're friendly people and I'm sure would be fine about you riding with them.

by DamianE Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:02 pm
Hi Mart, I'll find out for you. Likely to be from Skidby mill but it's 10 years since I lived in Hull. Got a few friends over there. Will contact the first/elites to stretch you a bit ;-)