Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by reubenbarrett Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:05 pm
Now that I have joined the ranks of the over 40's, I find myself being strong-armed to join the world of veteran racing thanks to Phil and Cam! Must admit it all looks very tempting and I will be sorting out my entries over the next couple of days.

Phil sent me a very useful email yesterday with some highlights from the LVRC calendar which I copy below. He has highlighted the ones he has entered with ***.

Please can anyone else racing in LVRC add on to this post what they have entered?

Full calendar is here: http://lvrc.org/documents/2012/LVRC-Domestic-Calendar-2012.pdf

Just to continue that conversation about vets racing; it's certainly easier to get entries than with BC but they are increasingly filling up - bigger fields last year than previously as I suspect a lot of over-forties are realising they may as well make the most of being that old and stick LVRC entries in.

As per conversation, field size varies quite a bit. They're run (usually, although organisers occasionally vary it due to entry numbers) as three concurrent races (40-49, 50-59 and 60-plus) set off with gaps between them and strict instructions not to mix them up should groups meet on the road. One or two (such as the Barton Wheelers event in April) are run as Aussie Pursuits (ie handicapped, with time gaps) in age order, and in these the bunch size is often small-ish - maybe 15. In most events though you'll have 30-40 in each ten-year race. Some are huge - the Tom Simpson Memorial RR is unofficial northern vets championships and gets a huge field of nearly 200 overall with sixty-plus in each race.

They're generally all good fun...

Barton Wheelers Sat 14th April - short, lumpy circuit - aussie pursuit so good fun as long as you don't expect a win as it's a bit of a lottery (which the Over-70's usually win)***

Derek Smith Memorial RR Sun 22nd - lovely rolling circuit up above Halifax with a sharp climb to the line each lap***

Minty's Memorial RR Sun 6th May - near Harworth (Doncaster) - nice safe circuit, rolling/flat with a climb to the line***

Ferryhill Wheelers RR Sun 13th up near Scotch Corner - never ridden it but Dave Cook recommends it

Condor RR Sat 26th - new event***

Doncaster Wheelers RR Sun 10th June - same circuit as Minty's - good event***

Tom Simpson Sun 17th - Harworth again but different circuit, rolling. Fast, real buzz to it.

Barton Wheelers RR Sat 23rd - good race; same circuit as earlier one but conventional RR***

Vic Sutton Memorial RR Sun 1st July - hilly circuit up above Pocklington - Huggate - hard race but much-loved in a funny kinda way (tho not by me)

40s

by timj Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:17 pm
Have entered most of the above Rubens

by Cam B Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:26 pm
So far... have entered:

Fleche Waltonne (on 18 March), Minty's Memorial, Don Wheelers, Tom Simpson, Vic Sutton....and just putting an entry in today for the Clifton RR on 15 July (the added attraction of doing this one is being able to help out with the BC race in the afternoon :D).

by reubenbarrett Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:12 pm
I have entered:
Barton Wheelers - 14th April
Minty's Memorial - 6th May
Doncaster Wheelers - 10th June
Vic Sutton Memorial - 1st July
Clifton Vets - 15th July

by RichardD Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:01 am
Barton Wheelers
Derek Smith Memorial
Minty's Memorial
Tom Simpson
Vic Sutton Memorial

not yet entered Clifton but intend to do it.

by Cyan Skymoos Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:37 pm
Going to enter

Tom Simpson
Barton Wheelers
Vic Sutton

Derek Smith is a good one too, but I'd entered a BC race on that day before the LVRC dates had come out.

I've put a requisition in for good legs from June 17th onwards.