Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:26 pm
Sadly the forecast for Saturday reckons we'll see an end to the current pleasant knee-friendly weather and cop a bit of cloud and rain, although understandably it's still all a bit vague about exactly when.

On-the-discussion-board and behind-the-scenes suggestions for the training ride have been equally unsettled, with requests for a repeat of last weeks "fast laps" session, requests for the Malton/Terrington "easterly" route and requests for please no not that one can we do the westerly route instead.

Personal preference is for fast laps (indeed for a few weeks, until the chaingang kicks in and fulfils this need) but I realise that different people are structuring their training differently. Given the numbers in recent weeks we should have enough people to do two very different rides, so come along tomorrow with your preference (better still post on here so we know how it's shaping up) - 9am start in the square as usual.

by Cyan Skymoos Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:46 pm
If it's a Bish Bash I'm going on the K ride.

by PhilBixby Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:58 pm
Be positive. Tell 'em you want company on the Thorner ride and I'm sure you'll get it!

by reubenbarrett Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:08 pm
I have been on antibiotics this week for ear infection so shouldn't really ride. But I can't bear to leave my new shiny 40th birthday present Cervelo in the shed when you are all out!

So I am happy to stand at side of road where you are all doing laps and take photos and record lap times (obviously not a race...). At least I can get a social ride out there and back and get a first ride of the new bike.

My thinking is that it would encourage everyone to work as a group to improve their lap times throughout the session. And with someone "timing" you, I'm sure you will all put a bit extra in!

Assuming that everyone would find this helpful, is there a relatively short circuit so that I can give you all multiple lap times?

by Cam B Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:43 pm
That's very good of you Reuben....I am up for 'doing laps' of a circuit. Not sure I can advise re: a shortish circuit other than Bish though?

by mart66 Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:01 pm
I think I'm coming down with my first cold of the year so may struggle with whichever ride I choose.

However, the thought of being left alone in the hills is even less appealing than being dropped on the flatlands.

by PhilBixby Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:22 pm
Can't think of anywhere shorter than Bishopwood (5.5mls) which doesn't spend time going through villages or involve iffy junctions. Any bright ideas gratefully received tho...

by reubenbarrett Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:42 pm
I don't really mind where you go as I won't be doing much of it. Only thing about Bishopwood is that you will only get an hour or so doing fast laps so might be better to do somewhere closer to York so you get a bit more time cranking up the pace.

How about this? http://ridewithgps.com/routes/972998

For those that don't know the roads - there are only 2 left turns - one in Appleton Roebuck and the second just outside Acaster Selby. The part from 2.5 miles to 5.5 miles on this map are single track but with generally good visibility. Very, very few cars down here anyway. Just need to take it steady through Appleton Roebuck. It is totally pan flat and not particularly scenic.

You could spend the best part of 2 hours doing this and get 8 laps done with the first one being a steady warm up / learn the course lap, then 7 at a healthy pace.

But as I said, I won't be riding much anyway, so I really don't mind if you all want to head out to Bishopwood or anywhere else.

by PhilBixby Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:44 pm
That's the circuit we used a couple of years back for a "beginner's chaingang" (and also the Come & Try It TT). It's certainly a bit nearer York, but two of the three sides of the triangle very definitely require "heads up" in case of oncoming vehicles, and it sometimes gets a bit mucky too thanks to local farmers. Let's see what the mood and indeed the weather is in the morning - I wouldn't be wanting to consign you and your infected ear to an hour stood in the p***ing rain, even with a shiny new R3 to lean against.

Any takers for the hilly alternative, so Darren (and possibly Muzzy) can firm up their travel plans?

by reubenbarrett Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:06 pm
Here are lap times of Bishopwood this morning:

Starters - 12
Lap 1 - 13' 51" (9 riders)
Lap 2 - 13' 44" (11 riders - did you pick up one on way round?)
Lap 3 - 13' 51" (10 riders)
Lap 4 - 14' 06" (7 riders)
Lap 5 - 13' 55" (sprint for the line, well done Wayne!)

From my reckoning the circuit is 5.33 miles so 13'44" is an average speed of 23.3 mph and 14'06" is an average speed of 22.7mph. Given that this was a relatively small bunch and you had to slow properly for some corners, this is an impressive pace.

Photos are here - they are in time order - I took a photo of the timer just before the main bunch crossed the line each time. Sorry they are a bit blurry but there wasn't room for a better camera in my back pocket!

http://www.flickr.com//photos/36505099@N04/sets/72157629501899803/show/

Well done all.

by PhilBixby Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:10 pm
Good work, Reuben. A damp and chilly morning so mostly winter bikes and wheels. Good, fast riding in evidence and very smooth despite getting gate-crashed by another ride part-way round and having a few (including me) slip off the back.

My legs had had enough after two-and-a-bit laps, but my figures for that bit tie in with Reuben's calculations - 23.2mph (and 250-odd Watts average).

How was it for everyone? Consensus on the ride home seemed to be that it was a good use of time. I'd certainly reckon that repeating these sessions until the chaingang starts (Tuesday 27th presumably) would really help add that necessary extra speed to everyone's legs - including mine... :roll: Bishopwood may not be a thriller but it's pretty near perfect for this kind of group work - wide, quiet, devoid of any reason to slow down apart from junctions and the occasional horse.
by timj Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:48 pm
mostly winter bikes.Sorry for that .Surely all that mud was not all from me :wink: Anyway seems to be working for me these real training rides.Every week getting better in the rides with improvement in speed and endurance .Finished with the group at the end after a pretty hard session.Somehow for me it feels like i need to ride fast to get fast if u know what i mean.Anyhow it looks like we have some strong riders in the club with a few more weeks left to train and improve.Smooth thr n off all morning.Well done Rubens for the photo and times.ps was that lad who joined us briefly really that tall :roll: cheers

by Cyan Skymoos Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:29 pm
The group you bumped into would've been the Scholes saturday chaingang, it's been going since the 1960's I think, certainly longer than I can remember anyway. They've always done the same ride out to Cawood/Ryther then back over the little lumps from Tad to finish after the climb out of Thorner. I'm sure you'll see them again.

by mart66 Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:53 pm
Great stuff, Reuben.

I thought we stuck together well today. The route seems ideal for this type of training; quiet, quick and with a couple of little lumps that have a cumulative effect after the 4th/5th lap.

by DamianE Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:46 pm
Agree with everyone else, it was a great ride today, apart from all the mud on the road! Not a bad average given we were walking round some of those bends and junctions. Very few missed turns so everyone was getting just enough rest and therefore we were able to maintain the pace pretty well. Really enjoying riding with you guys and I like trying to help out some of the new starters with some hints and tips. If we keep on like this I'll have to start training and calling the summer bike a "race" bike again :twisted: