Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by Tullio Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:40 pm
My first training ride of the year on Saturday so my expectations weren't high. I was OK in the group before we stopped but setting off in the 2nd group my quad immediately cramped a bit trying to up the speed. Discretion being the better part of valour I stretched off and left you to it. I'm clearly a few weeks behind you lot on speed at the moment but it was good to get out and push myself.

I'm easy on which routes we do. The laps are good for speed work but hills would be good too occasionally as nothing I'm aiming at this year is flat.

by DamianE Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:48 pm
Didn't have chance to look at the Garmin data but would guess we were a bit quicker than Phil. The wind made it slow all the way round, I don't remember much of a tailwind! The first group split with about a lap to go to leave me with 2 people I don't know I'm afraid. One young lad from another club and a guy who didn't need rest at the back and looked like he could've left us whenever he liked!!!

For the others I suspect there is a certain amount of technique still to come so these sessions are a great try out.

by Cam B Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:21 pm
I wasn't out on Saturday but sounds like there was still some splitting on the flat circuit. For me, these sessions are about working very hard in a smallish (but not too small!)group. I don't mind if it's flat and even a bit boring like Bishopwood. At least it feels safe. I think we would all potentially be going round in ones and twos if we went to a lumpier circuit.

by Cyan Skymoos Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:15 pm
I'm not a fan of laps myself, even if it's a very pretty circuit. It was easy for me to stay in bed saturday morning knowing it was going round Bish a few times.

The north south, west. east thing has been working ok over winter hasn't it? I don't know why you don't just keep doing that but try pick up the pace a little now the racing is kicking off soon.

by PhilBixby Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:58 pm
This is looking good - I think we've got two groups wanting different things from the Saturday training rides so we can just simply have different groups doing different things. Muzzy and Darren as the basis of a Malton/Terrington group? Me/Cam as the basis for a fast-laps-of-Bishopwood group?

by Cyan Skymoos Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:18 pm
I don't like Terrington/Malton, Phil :lol: ...It's always death by a thousand half wheels around there. Can we do that nice one which goes through Sherburn.

by PhilBixby Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:42 pm
Darren me old mate, you can ride wherever you like! Just post on here and get Muzzy and a few other hardy, hill-loving souls fired up and you're in business..