Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by tomf Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:01 pm
Hi all,
I can't help but ride the roads on this course regularly, and although I think it is a good route (Thorganby -> Wheldrake -> bear left onto Wheldrake Lane towards Escrick -> hard left just outside Escrick towards Skipwith -> hard left just before Skipwith back towards Thorganby), I'm worried we can't use it in its current state.

There's a 1/4 mile of the Wheldrake Lane section, spanning the York/North Yorks border, with shocking potholes and cracks. Some attempts have been made to patch this, but the whole thing needs resurfacing. The part that really bothers me is a blind left hander with badly broken surface on the left-hand margin on the way in, followed by more of the same, plus a couple of real rim-shattering holes on the way out. The clear temptation would be for everybody to ride on the wrong side through the bend, and any that didn't could easily get taken out by the holes.

On my own it's no trouble to ride through, but a racing bunch would be a different story. I'm not sure if anyone else passes this way - we don't use this bit on the South training ride - but it would be good to hear another opinion. Of course, if we could get both authorities to resurface their respective patches all would be well!
cheers,
tom

by Cam B Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:37 pm
I will drop Pete Sutton a line to see what he thinks......