Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:48 am
Forecast for Saturday (although, in these unpredictable times, subject to change) is for breezy but dry and eight degrees. Eight degrees! Phew, what a scorcher! For those of us accustomed to having our bidons frozen (Ooooer missus) this should be a real treat.

We'll head east and do the Malton / Coneysthorpe / Terrington route. This one really tends to split things up so - assuming there are plenty of people out - we'll split into slightly quicker and slightly slower groups in an effort to keep it as a group training ride rather than a loose collection of individual ones. 9am in the square.

by willhub Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:06 pm
Sounds good.

by fatsprinter Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:31 pm
Do you have a group that a fatsprinter could get over the hills in? :wink:

De tijd gaat snel, gebruik hem wel!
Schaarf!!

by PhilBixby Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:10 pm
Once again plenty of people in the square this morning (as indeed there should be with the thermometer so far above zero :wink: ) and as is always the case almost everyone reckoned they wanted the "slightly quicker" group leaving six of us to head out in the "steady" bunch. And once again, it was a very good steady bunch, which worked well together until a puncture on the run-in to York split it in two.

We ignored the "road closed" signs and went over the bridge at Buttercrambe, carefully explaining to the workmen that if another group of cyclists turned up they should send them round the long way. It was a very swift, tailwind-powered run to Malton - nice in itself but hinting at very different conditions for the return leg. The drag to Coneysthorpe was hard work, but we were still all together until John punctured on the descent of Terrington Bank (eeeeek!). The chillier ones headed home and the rest of us helped with the repair and then headed for home, giving the lap of the Flat Ten circuit a miss.

Normalised power at around 225W and average speed just under 18.5mph for the out of town bit. Good work, folks! How was the other group?

by Cam B Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:47 pm
In the second group of about 10 or so....
Once we were on Stockton Lane and, with the benefit of a tailwind, we proceeded somewhat briskly! We were a little more cautious approaching Buttercrambe bridge and took an interesting detour via Bossall. Picking up the road to Malton again we worked pretty well together until final climb into Malton when 3 of the group opted to go a little steadier. In hindsight, we should have tried to keep it together I think?? Still only about an hour into the ride.... Like group one we found it hard work to Coneysthorpe. It was the "Wayne and Will Show" today really with Wayne still showing carrying form from the cyclo-cross season and looking particularly frisky on any climb. Will also looked mightily impressive as he powered up the hill to Sheriff Hutton. We managed a lap of the flat 10 - thru and offing. First 3 miles into a headwind proved to be thorough examination of our fitnesss and a good blowout! Bike computer on the blink so can't give an ave. mph....

by paulM Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:44 am
Apologies for peeling off before Malton. Was feeling unwell and realised at that point of the ride I had an easy option of simply turning round and heading straight back via Kirkham instead of digging myself a big hole by carrying on. The ride was good up to that point and as I've said previously I think this ride should be done every week. The pace was high up until I spun off but so is racing! Its supposed to be a training ride. The club has other options for anyone who thinks its a bit much including a steadier option of the same ride. If everyone else managed to hang on from Malton then I dont think you needed to be taking it any steadier - a ride like this will always have some fallout?
by timj Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:50 pm
Hi all
This training route is hard which as Paul says is the same as racing.Personnally i enjoy it because i can gauge how i am going.As on sat i was ok until Terrington when i got distanced by a couple of lengths but got back on.Then Sherriff and i was struggling again but got back.Flat ten just sat in doing a couple of turns and staying in.So all in all i know i have a bit to do but with a few weeks left til racing am happy.I dont know but my gear selection on climbs can be improved and my hydration needs to improve as i feel dehydrated after a ride like today.
Anyone who is interested 20MPH on my comp with HR in my higher zones for a good while.Cheers

by tomf Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:51 pm
Good ride for me, with gears and guards this time. Had intended to join the faster group but when I saw the imbalance in numbers I reckoned on being better off with the front "six". We definitely weren't easing off on the hills, and kept it right together until the frailties of rubber intruded, so it was a good choice. There always seems to be plenty of weather on the East route and this was no exception...
tom

by willhub Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:01 pm
I really enjoyed it, I only get to ride in Yorkshire about once every 8 weeks now (unless the wheelers cross into Yorkshire when we ride up Holmfirth), that training ride was my fav ride of the year so far, it was only my second proper ride out this year, most has been on computrainer about 20 miles per week.

All the hills were pretty tough on the big ring especially riding up that short drag into Sheriff Hutton in it, that's why I stopped at the top I nearly threw up for a second :p

Looking forward to the next training ride I get on.

It was times like Saturday I really wished I still had a winter bike, because when I got home me and the bike just had a brown gritty carpet covering us, and my drivetrain was all orange with rust :shock:, and what a mistake it was putting continental Attack/Force tyres on, should have left me Rubinos on, the contis cut up like no tomorrow!!

by Cyan Skymoos Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:37 pm
Yes Will..this is why I've done very few group rides this winter. I go to the effort of fitting full length guards and mudflaps, the rear isn't for my benefit. What I can't get my head around is some have gadgets on handlebars which cost more than a winter bike.

I've yet to find a group with a mudguard rule, if anyone knows of any would they point me in that direction.

by willhub Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:09 pm
Cyan Skymoos wrote:Yes Will..this is why I've done very few group rides this winter. I go to the effort of fitting full length guards and mudflaps, the rear isn't for my benefit. What I can't get my head around is some have gadgets on handlebars which cost more than a winter bike.

I've yet to find a group with a mudguard rule, if anyone knows of any would they point me in that direction.

What gadgets are these that cost more than a winter bike, perhaps a Garmin Edge 800 does but that's about it. My cycling computer is about 30% of the cost of a winter bike.

A bit of mud never hurt anyone.

I keep SKS Raceblade on my bike all year round unless I know it's guaranteed not to rain, I notice how people complain at this time of year about getting abit wet and abit muddy, and it's not as if it's making them cold, because once you're on the road and warmed up, it makes little difference.

In racing, riders are not even allowed to wear mudguards.

What I find amusing is then when "summer" comes, everyone removes their mudguards, even if it's wet ( same people who seem to complain about raceblades).

So I find the whole argument about mudguards quite silly.

If I choose to buy a Garmin rather than a winter bike, then that's my business and I don't appreciate people trying to lecture me on what should or should not be bought.

No one seemed to complain on Saturday, I think everyone just got on with it.

No one is dead or ill, everyone clothes are clean by now I presume, and bikes have no evidence of Saturday on them because they've being cleaned.

And people who think full mudguards fully get rid of spray from behind are disillusioned because plenty of spray comes of them, I've acquired a face full of mud courtesy of riders with full mudguards, does not bother me really, those who it bothers will have to turn up to a club run in a car, but I'm sure that'd start another argument if you had people turning up to club runs in cars.

And I should not have to justify my choice of purchasing a Planet X carbon frame rather than a alu frame with the ability to fit full mudguards.

by Cyan Skymoos Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:38 pm
There is or there used to be a thing called etiquette. To be used for the greater good of the group. The fact that you keep race blades on all the time means you don't like getting the crap on yourself but it's ok to spray everyone else.

Racing is different..why would you handicap yourself with mudguards.

Roads in summer are cleaner than winter roads.

Nothing will come off a rear wheel if you fit a good mudflap, in fact a guard is pointless without one.

Bearings, drivechain, shoes and clothing will last a lot longer with them, and yes there is the potential to get ill with all the crap farmers spray on fields which gets washed on to the roads.

I don't have a problem with people buying all the fancy bling but the basics should come first.

Anyway I'm not getting into an argument about it. Happy cycling

by willhub Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:42 pm
Ironically you started the argument.

No, I just don't like the feeling of a wet arse, I don't have a front raceblade it won't fit.

by G. Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:00 pm
A rear raceblade can be modified to protect the people behind you from getting sprayed: all it requires is a 2 pint milk carton and some araldite or gaffer tape - easy!

(Don't mind me!)