Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by reubenbarrett Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:07 pm
Good news, I have received my official acceptance to Seacroft Wheelers. Now just need to shake off the final bit of this illness and get some proper training done or I'll be shot out of the back at the first bridge....

by DamianE Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:15 pm
But you've got a bike that doesn't look like it needs pedalling! :P

On a serious note, those two lumps should be the only place anyone gets spat out -unless you get caught at the back in a cross wind! They're close together and there is a sprint out of a corner inbetween. There is a fair amount of technique that can be employed. The first is get near the front, and fight a bit to stay there, around the start finish. On the first drag concentrate on hiding on a wheel and don't be afraid to slip back the odd place if it means not completely going into the red. On the downhill, if you can, take back those places. For the left hander, stay on the right of the bunch and don't brake much in the dry and make sure you stay on a wheel out of the turn. It's often a killer cross wind there, you don't want to be fighting all the way along there and then have to go over the drag as that's when you're at risk of popping. If you start at the front you can let people come round you on those three sections if you're struggling, if you start at the back you have no choice but to go eyeballs out. There's a lot to be said for being able to control the effort in a race and you can't do that at the back. good luck, at least you'll get some practice soon.

by Tobzlerone Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:38 pm
I got in too :) and your right Damien, last year I had no group riding skills and was stuck right at the back and those two rises killed me off. I was thinking how to overcome that and arrived at the same conclusion :) there really isn't any recovery time between the, so you have to make it.

by reubenbarrett Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:52 pm
Thanks for the tips Damian. I will be pleased to just finish with the bunch!