Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by Vercors Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:03 am
Any suggestions for hilly routes out of York at approximately 30, 40 and 50 round trip miles please? As hilly as possible, as I am training for a UK hilly event. I would prefer to do a circuit to hill repeats and on quiet roads if possible.

I normally head out Millenium Bridge, Warthill, Buttercrambe, Leavening, but welcome more specific suggestions and alternatives.

by GrahamMartin Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:47 pm
This might not count as hilly enough, but I often ride out along Wigginton Road (B1363) to Brandsby, turning sharp left just as I enter the village, riding along to Crayke and then round back to Stillington before riding home. For me, its almost exactly 30miles and takes me straight into the Howardian Hills at their nearest point. If you took in a second trip round the Stillington > Brandsby > Crayke circuit, you'd get another bit of climbing in, and if you really need to slaughter yourself, the next left turn after the one in Brandsby takes you up Yearsley Bank (marked '>' on some maps), right and right returning you to the same spot.
The only problem is the 12 miles each way of pure flat time trialling, but I imagine its the same for Levening. What do you do once you've topped Leavening Bank?
by Vercors Thu May 17, 2012 6:21 pm
Thanks for the suggestions. I got round wrynose or bust, but had to walk the top part of wrynose, so more hilly rides required.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/141916770

If I have time I head further into the wolds but otherwise I have to head back to york, usually similar to this link.