Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:01 pm
Forecast for Saturday's not wonderful - depending on where you look it suggests very cold on Friday night (down to minus six) with possible snow/sleet, and chilly - three to five - in the morning. I suggest we do the "north" route and can then play it slightly by ear, either taking the simplest route and a steady pace if the weather's poor, or winding up the pace a touch and doing a faster lap of the Milby circuit if it's better than expected.

Either way, and despite postings appearing here for upcoming races, it is still January and it is still not a lot above freezing. So, lets kep it steady. We've still got time to crank up the speeds.

by Tobzlerone Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:57 pm
I'll be there :)

by nigelt Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:21 pm
My Daughter's moving house to Leeds on Friday- as long as we get her moved I'll be there- I have working gears and everything this week :D

by RossB Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:16 pm
Being a relative newbie roughly how far will you be riding on Saturday? Wouldnt want to turn and embarass myself!

by PhilBixby Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:38 am
Hi Ross

It's just under 60 miles, about three hours. Depending on conditions (ie risk of ice) may be slightly over or under as route may be tweaked. Fairly flat and broadly:- York - Rufforth - Walshford - Boroughbridge - Helperby - Easingwold - Crayke - Huby - York.
by Dr Dave Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:43 pm
PhilBixby wrote:Either way, and despite postings appearing here for upcoming races, it is still January and it is still not a lot above freezing. So, lets kep it steady. We've still got time to crank up the speeds.

Sounds ideal, I'll try and make it this week

by MikeG Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:14 pm
Should be along this week too. It will be nice to get some fresh air rather than sitting on the bloody turbo trainer!

by Tobzlerone Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:08 pm
Actually, I can't make it tommorow, Potentially fractured a bone in my hand, they gave me a splint which makes Look worse than it feels, I probably wouldnt have gone in if my dad didn't force me.
Bottom line is, is that if I hadn't took my bike in for a service and had to leave it over night I would probably still be joining you. Hopefully it's nothing serious :) enjoy

Cheers

Tobz

by Cam B Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:43 pm
In the "SQG" (slightly quicker group) this morning. Turned out to be a nice sunny morning. We kept it together... nice and steady. Did a lap of the Milby circuit after B'bridge. With kickoff approaching in the Liverpool/Man U. game (on terrestial TV as well...Hooray!),we quickened the pace a bit after the turn at Sutton on Forest, with about seven doing some tidy through and off on the run in...Not too sure about ave mph but I think right side of 19...

Thanks to Rich for giving me a couple of CO2 cartridges after I helped him with a flat last week. Very good of you Rich...didn't expect you to....You were my 'guinea pig' anyway as I hadn't used the thing before :wink:

by GrahamMartin Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:56 pm
Third time lucky, I survived! :D

Thanks to Phil, John and Nigel for putting up with my hour in "ticket collector" position - Phil and I passed the square on 3hrs05mins. I now feel slightly smug about the whole thing, though I'm aware I could do to contribute more in future. Bitingly cold, bits of ice by the curbs, but a genuinely warming sun. Got a bit worried when we hit Sutton on the Forest and missed both "Yorkwards" turnings, but the extra effort will be worth it in future, I'm sure.

by PhilBixby Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:54 pm
I led the "SSG" (slightly steadier group - apologies to Cam) out of the square this morning, and out onto a Wetherby Road that clearly hadn't had its full dose of salt as I had both wheels going sideways on three or four occasions. All a bit disconcerting. Our group of six turned into a group of five, and Andy M peeled off before Boroughbridge, leaving four of us sharing the work.

Gorgeously sunny and really quite pleasant once on to ice-free roads. We got caught by the SQG shortly after Boroughbridge, and they then went left for a lap of the Milby circuit and we headed for Helperby, Crayke and then the slightly scenic run-in via the top of the Flat Ten circuit.

Just under sixty miles in all and good, smooth riding by everyone. Just over 19mph average and just under 215W for the out-of-town bit, which puts it well up there with previous Saturdays. Small group, bit slower, but just as much work. Not bad at all for a day when it was only just above freezing.

by GrahamMartin Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:42 pm
Slightly off-topic, but could someone (probably on the website, rather than on here) put up maps of these circuits? Is the "Flat 10" a race or a Time Trial route?

by PhilBixby Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:14 pm
The "Flat 10" is the Sutton-on-the-Forest TT course used for some of the Thursday evening TT's. Route should be on the website via the Thursday TT page. Dates/routes/etc for this year's series will be on there soon, btw.
by timj Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:16 pm
Graham it is the tt course for the 10 mile flat test in the thursday night club series
by timj Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:17 pm
You have always been sharper off the mark than me Phil !!!!!!