Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by Dr Dave Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:57 pm
Hoping to do a few TTs this year so thinking of getting some clip on bars for my road bike. Lots of options in the shops. Are all-in-one items the way to go or separate clamps, arm rests and extensions? Do you just fit a bung in the ends of the extensions (not planning to get bar end shifts etc)? Do you need thick pads for the arm rests? What sort of extensions - S bends, ski ends, straight ones? Any advice welcome....

by tomf Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:41 pm
Find timJ, ask him if you can borrow mine (he's got them, I haven't needed them in ages). They are separates, quite adjustable, fairly comfy pads. But most important (with these, or I suspect any clip-ons) is to get sufficient torque on the clamp to the bars; otherwise when you ride over a pothole in the 'tt' position you may suddenly find you're eyeballing the road a little too closely! I used a cyanacrylate friction goo to get extra grip (it doesn't glue them on permanently, but it does improve the metal-metal sticking power greatly).
On your actual question, I guess it's mostly down to taste and what's comfortable for you.
tom

by Dan Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:21 pm
I've got handlebars and stem by a Swiss company called Oval Concepts and they make aero bars and arm rests that are part of the stem faceplate so no problems with slipping etc.

http://www.ovalconcepts.com/productsGen ... 99&idCat=1

by G. Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:38 pm
S bends allow you to pull upwards and so brace against the bars, which gives you some extra power when you're going over a bump, or at least that what it feels like to me. However, they do turn your wrist through quite an angle, so I don't find them so great for longer distances as my wrists get uncomfortable and I end up resting my arms on top of the bars instead of holding them.

Talking of this, does anyone have any Ski bends they'd like to sell me?