Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by GrahamMartin Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:01 pm
Hello,

I'm new to club riding and have never raced, though I plan to start this year. I've been on a few of the 10am Saturday rides, and Kev has tended to put me in more challenging groups, which I've enjoyed. 100km is a comfortable distance for me to cycle whether alone or with others, and I cope increasingly well with climbs like Levening Bank, even with flat pedals.

Having gotten a set of road shoes and pedals for Christmas, and with early season events like Croft's Winter Races now approaching, I'm looking to increase speed and learn to work in tighter groups. I'd love to join in the training ride this Tuesday, but I'm nervous I'll be dropped by a seasoned bunch of Cat 2 racers within 5 minutes! I can ride 10miles in 30minutes alone, but I have no idea how that relates to bunch riding, or if I'll do anything useful on the front if people expect 20+mph riding.

Anyhow, I'm happy to turn up on the risk I have a lonely ride home, but the thoughts of regular riders are welcome.

Graham

P.S. If anyone knows the Croft circuit and wants to impart advice or is planning to race the Cat 4 events in Feb, please get in touch.

by Cyan Skymoos Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:27 pm
I wasn't aware of any tuesday gang in winter, is this a Cycleworks group?

by PhilBixby Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:49 pm
Howdo Graham, and welcome

Like Darren I'm not sure who/where/what the Tuesday rides are - the regular evening chaingang that a fair few Cliftonites take part in doesn't start until after the clocks change. That leaves the Saturday training rides, which you'd be welcome to join. You'll find out a fair bit about them by trawling back through the threads on here - there's plenty of comment, positive and negative!

It's very hard to say how easy/hard the rides are on the basis of what speed/distance you can do on your own - it's very much about how well you make use of the group to save energy. I'm currently doing solo 3hr rides at around 17mph and I'd say my level of effort is similar overall to the group rides which are increasingly knocking at 20mph. The only way to find out is turn up and do one - just check the route beforehand (PM me via here if you want details) so you know you can find your way back if for any reason you do find yourself alone.

There's not a lot about it on the website (but there's a thread on this board) but the club will be involved in organising a local road race league this spring - events will be handicapped and hence open to a range of abilities, including newcomers. Might be right up your street as an alternative to the rather intense nature of circuit racing.

Lastly (and this isn't just directed at you) most people need more than one training ride a week to get up to race pace before the clocks change. Do some reading or chat up some experienced racers from the club and do yourself a training programme, formal or informal. If you want suggestions on good stuff to do on a turbo which lasts no more than an hour per session, then I've got a list (as many people know by now... :roll: )

by GrahamMartin Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:56 pm
Many thanks Phil (and Cyan), and sorry that I'd missed the fact that Tuesdays are off for now. My current regime is to get at least one 100k in plus 2 shorter rides, which are often around hour but are where I get my 10mile times. DailyMile kindly tells me I've done 490km this month (nice weather!), but I don't own the kit to train indoors. I'll give next Saturday's ride a go.
by YorkCycleworks Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:27 pm
Hi Graham
York Cycleworks have a Wednesday Ride 9.30 Exhibition Square. These are usually a steady winter ride. Especially as the average age of the riders is 75. You would be more than welcome to come along.