Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by timj Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:57 pm
I presume there is a ride on sat ?See you there?

by PhilBixby Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:14 pm
Yup! Forecast is warm and windy, so should all be okay. I reckon we're due the easterly route, so the challenge is to see if we can get round as one group (or two groups if there are lots of us), working together...

by fatsprinter Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:37 pm
What route? Simon wanting to come along. I'm putting on an application for permission too. What sort of ride? Same format as pre-Christmas?

De tijd gaat snel, gebruik hem wel!
Schaarf!!

by PhilBixby Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:26 pm
Easterly = the "traditional" Clifton Saturday route - Stockton Lane - Gally Gap - Malton - Coneysthorpe - Terrington - Sheriff - lap of the flat ten and home. Aim is to keep it steady and the last time we did this route it was just under 18mph, so back by noon, 9:00 prompt kick off.

by Broom Wagon Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:52 am
I thought about being a good lad and getting myself along to the training ride tomorrow......though the East route.....with 13+ stone of xmas stodge, oh well might be better having a bit of a poddle along as billy no mates instead.

by fatsprinter Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:24 am
Yes, may well give the hilly one a miss myself, I'll see. After 2 weeks of illness in the family, I don't think I'm fit enough to sit in in that route. Will let si wright know.

De tijd gaat snel, gebruik hem wel!
Schaarf!!

by PhilBixby Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:20 pm
Well, once again people were out in numbers this morning, possibly encouraged by the balmy (if damp) conditions. Jess took a first group of about eight off, and I followed about five minutes later with another bunch containing most of the flying vets, a Cycleworks contingent, and a couple of other regulars , with Kit joining us somewhere en route to Malton. We parted company with the Cycleworks lads early on, but otherwise just about kept it together until the - fairly brisk - pace started to tell on a couple around Terrington. By the lap of the ten circuit it was six of us with Andy riding shotgun, and we caught remnants of the first group as we approached Sherrif.

As per last week, the pace on these rides is creeping slowly upwards - which is probably about right for the regulars and especially for those putting in some midweek hours on the road or the turbo. 19½mph and 220-odd Watts for the out-of-town bit - a fair bit up on the last time we did this route, despite taking the climbs fairly steady.

How was the other group? It may be worth dividing things up on the basis of a faster and a slower group next week - especially if we've got a mix of newcomers starting and long-term regulars now getting up a fair head of steam. Assuming no weird weather it'll be the southerly route.

Happy New Year, folks!

by Dr Dave Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:20 pm
Glad to see that the power was higher this week. I know I haven't been putting in the sessions but still doesn't feel great to be dropped.

by Tobzlerone Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:55 pm
On the back of an intense 50miler yesterday, followed by 7 hours running around at work, I didn't exactly feel great. I blew spectacularly at castle Howard, overcome with a wave of nausea and jelly like legs. I didn't feel good and moped all the way back home. Heather caught me up on a mountain bike :L and I tried to look up beat and chatty. Trundled home at a very slow pace with the thought of exam revision to look forward to.

Anyway, thanks again and have a wonderful new year!

Tobz

by DamianE Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:04 pm
I waited for Toby and once he decided to go home at his own pace, I made the mistake of deciding to catch the group we'd let go up the road. Caught them the other side of Sherif having left a lung on the drag into the village. Think it will take me a month to recover from that one, sure I've won races that weren't that hard! Must be getting old. We finished with 3 just as it started to rain. Happy New Year to all and hope to see you, and drag Fatsprinter with me, next year!