Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:23 pm
Well, soundings indicate there are a few of you out there who want to put off getting festive until the last possible moment, so with the Met Office predicting six degrees and dry/breezy for the upcoming Saturday, I reckon we should get out there for one last blast before turkey incoming.

9:00 in the square as usual and the westerly route; unless the weather takes an unexpected turn for the worse - in which case check on here nearer the time.

by Tobzlerone Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:10 pm
unfortunately i shall not be joining you, as i'm at work :(

Merry Christmas!

tobz

by nigelt Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:15 pm
I'm in, Ho Ho Ho :D And, as we'll be back for 12, I'll then be able to go out and start my Christmas Shopping :wink:
by timj Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:05 pm
cant make this one have a good ride.Happy Christmas all.cheers

by Dr Dave Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:25 pm
50:50 for me as may be able to negotiate a full day pass in which case the social rides beckon

by nigelt Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:13 pm
Oh dear! I clearly didn't eat enough after yesterday's ride with Rob and Toby. Felt absolutely fine until Bramham then completely blew up in the space of about 5 mins! :( Had a gel at the time but it was too late and no way I could sit with the group. Once the gel kicked in I felt fine again but by then had lost sight of everyone, so no chance of getting back on. Headed back on my own via Scarcroft / Wetherby / Rufforth- still managed 48 miles at an average of over 18mph which is good for me.

Have a good Xmas everyone, will hopefully see some of you at 9am on NYE if there's a ride on- I'll make sure I eat enough (can't see that being too much of a problem over the next few days) :D :D :D

by PhilBixby Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:26 pm
Well Nigel, you weren't alone - there definitely seemed to be fewer riders at the end than there were when we rolled out of the square, and that's even allowing for my shaky maths and Cam joining us part-way round!

Over a dozen starters, including a couple of unfamiliar faces, and a brisk ride out into the headwind towards Bramham. For some reason people responded to the brief flurry of chilly drizzle around Thorner by further upping the pace, such that a couple of "regroupings" were required once we got the wind behind us on the run towards Sherburn. A puncture for the resident Geordie shortly afterwards seemed a good opportunity to send the keen lot onwards while three of us watched an expert tube-change in anticipation of a nice steady ride back.

How wrong we were. Maybe a whiff too much CO2 from the tyre inflation saw us doing the return leg at a steady 24mph. Overall it was a touch under 20mph and a touch over 220W for the out-of-town bit of a rather harder-than-expected ride. Not sure I'd have had the breath to say too much even if there'd been more than two companions at the end, so, belatedly:- have a good break over Christmas everyone and see you on New Year's eve!
by timj Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:08 pm
Got out after all for 3 hours as Billy.!
Flat first 2 hours around Strensall and Sherriff back along a few rolls then up Yearsley and switch backs then Crayke and home.A good training ride mix which was a bonus after a5 hour ride on Thursday i thought that would be it until next week.I think Caroline had forgotten what good company i am after staying in all day !!!!Does anyone know what i mean.Anyway will there be anyone doing any rides next week .Have a good time cheers Timj.

by Jess Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:34 pm
Quite a hard ride this week I thought - I was certainly pushing hard to take my turn on the front anyway.

Fell a bit in-between the two groups on the way home. Stopped up the road for a 'natural' break when the puncture occurred, only to see what I thought was the entire group shooting past as I was clambering out of the bushes (!). Waited for a bit to see if there were any backmarkers but nothing doing. So amid grumblings of it 'not being cricket' etc etc, I set off in pursuit. Needless to say I lost the group and then was unsure if they'd taken the bishop wood circuit & were then behind me, or whether they'd p*ssed off home without me. Waited in cawood for a while, hoping to get swept up, but still nothing. So I rode home on my own.

If only I'd know Phil's splinter group was 5 mins behind me! Rats!
Still, good TT training I guess, and license for a few more mince pies.

Merry Xmas to all. :-)

by Flying Finn Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:44 pm
Nice to read that somewhere on this planet it is possible to ride a roadbike on christmas eve! Sounds nice.
I wish you all a merry christmas!
...and I miss you and the rides out there...