Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:22 pm
The Met Office currently predict bright and breezy for Saturday, although the tea-leaves may get an extra swirl or two before then. 09:00 departure from Exhibition Square for the training ride, and continuing the clockwise choice of routes, this time it's the "south" one - across the flatlands to Howden. Next to no hills but a good workout if it's ridden properly - there are no resting places! There'll be two groups if numbers require it, and we'll be back by about noon.

by Dr Dave Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:29 pm
Hoping to be along this week....

by MikeG Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:16 pm
I might put in a guest appearance too now the pace seems to have settled to something seasonally appropriate :wink:

by fatsprinter Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:19 pm
HELP PHIL - do your go out straight through Elvington and on to Melbourne? I reckon if I set off at same time as your, I should get there before you? What route you do to get out to Howden? I may head you off at the pass if I can get out. Meeting on the road may make it more of a possibility.

Cheers

De tijd gaat snel, gebruik hem wel!
Schaarf!!

by PhilBixby Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:35 pm
Route is:- Heworth - Osbaldwick - Murton - wiggle across the main roads onto the Elvington road - then follow the main road (ie right before Melbourne and follow the B-whatever to Bubwith - Howden).

by PhilBixby Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:34 pm
Once again, a big crowd in the square for 9am this morning - blue skies and benign temperatures for early December probably helped. Two groups of about ten each were divvied up, and I set off with the first of them.

A good, steady ride, despite the stiff westerly. A bit of shuffling around now and then and a couple of times when the group split and had to re-group, but overall whatever the speed worked out at, the level of effort was about right. We lost a couple of riders on the final loop round Thorganby and Wheldrake, but hopefully everyone got back with their legs equally knackered.

56 miles in just over three hours - just under 19mph and 200W for the out-of-town main part of the ride.

by Cam B Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:37 pm
10 of us in Group B or the "Number Twos" if you prefer (sounds a bit scatological!), on the training ride. After a slightly unorthodox route out of town (apolodgies for that..) and once I had got my bearings, we headed along the flatlands to Howden. Lovely sunny morning if a little windswept. We kept it "nice and steady". Lost a couple thru tired legs (?) in Wheldrake and Stillingfleet. With the benefit of a favourable tailwind we wound it up a little on the run in thru Naburn..

Good ride....Thanks chaps
Last edited by Cam B on Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Sharpy Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:41 pm
Was a good ride, the wind meant to real rest, decided I need to work on my fuelling as I was spent by Escrick so a couple of us cut the corner to Naburn.

Do enjoy the knackered feeling in the legs though!! :?

by Tobzlerone Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:43 pm
Well thankyou for all the birthday messages, i didnt know so many people checked out the feed. :p
Had a good ride today, lovely weather (despite the obious wind), all well kept together throughout.
95 km at 29kmh

Cheers

Tobz
by timj Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:07 pm
Hi all spot on ride today really enjoyed it.Not too happy with the head wind back to Easingwold but got home ok .Had a bit of detour after artic wagon blocked road outside ringroad .Good group stuck together well with a decent rythmn even into wind.cheers

by nigelt Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:11 pm
Enjoyed today, a good outing and the group worked well despite the wind. Was fine until the road to Stillingfleet when, having dropped to the back of the group to down a gel, I dropped my bottle trying to wash it down. By the time I'd turned round to pick it up the group were a good way in front and despite my best efforts I couldn't catch up into the wind! Rode back from there on my own, 62 miles for me at an average of 18mph. Excellent day, see you all next week. In between I'm taking juggling lessons so I don't repeat the bottle dropping episode and can hopefully stay with the group :wink:

by Dr Dave Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:34 pm
I was in the group with Phil. Finished with the main group OK but for some reason found it heavy going this week. No problems breathing and HR was OK but my quads were burning a fair bit and are feeling rather bruised this evening. Wonder if position has altered slightly (saddle too low or far forward??) - or just legs a bit tired.

Will have to see how thngs go next week.......

by YorkCycleworks Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:31 pm
Dr Dave. Sounds like you require a Bike Fit at York Cycleworks