Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:43 pm
The training ride will set off as usual at 9:00am from the square; weather forecast seems to be for a rather murky 10c but hey, at least it's another Saturday without snow. As per last week we'll split into two groups if there are lots of people. Suggest we do the northerly route to continue our clockwise progress through the regular routes?

Watch out for the red lights on your way to the square :wink:

by Cyan Skymoos Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:04 pm
...and put a slice of cake in your back pocket, to ward off the dizzy head hunger knock.

by fatsprinter Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:54 am
What waymarks does the northely route consist of? I will make it one of these days. Just needing to get childcare sorted. If missus not poorly still tomorrow will tag along. Any route details would help me plan. Cheers. At least communting from Leeds to home 3 or so times per week is keeping me healthy.

De tijd gaat snel, gebruik hem wel!
Schaarf!!

by PhilBixby Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:36 am
Hi Colin

Northern route:- Out of town via Acomb then Rufforth - Tockwith - Walshford - A168 to Boroughbridge - Milby (followed in spring by a swift lap of the old TLI circuit) - Helperby - Easingwold - Crayke and then, depending on time/inclination either back via Huby or left to Brandsby - Sheriff and then home. About three hours; a regular one during winter as the roads are all usually kept clear and the A168 is good for practising brisk paceline riding.

by Broom Wagon Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:55 pm
Hopefully you remember me..... changes at work mean that I can start thinking about riding my bike again next year. I'm extremely fat and unfit at the moment but the training rides are an effective way of losing weight and getting fit so I intend to be out.....however, I'll be minimising any time on the front and dropping off the back when I've had enough (don't be tempted to wait...not that you would on a training ride anyway).

by PhilBixby Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:31 pm
Usual big turnout in the square despite Dickensian fog, so two groups for the northerly ride. I headed out with the first lot of ten(-ish) leaving Jess with the rest and the latecomers. Our group contained a number of old faces returning to the fold - Dave C, Tim, Broomwagon - and a relative newcomer or two.

The thick murk meant rear lights switched on and care on greasy roads, but it was good steady progress up to Boroughbridge and by the time we started a lap of the Milby circuit the sun was out and it was really rather nice. We all worked together apart from a brief stretching out on the run up to Crayke, and were back in York with just over 60 miles on the clock. Just under 20mph and bang on 200W again for the out-of-town bit which included a gentle building-up of pace towards the end. Nice work!

by Tobzlerone Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:50 pm
Set off with a group of nine today, again murky, so sunglasses were hung on the helmet :) reached the A road where we stopped to plan some through and off and a re-group in boroughbridge, kept a pretty tasty pace, only seeing a few cars which was great! Jess suggested we don't do the milby circuit as it was supposedly was in poor condition, how was it?? so we headed to Stockton on the forest and did a flat 10 lap with some more through and off.
Had a tow back home from will and the 'bianchi' guy (sorry don't know your name :p )

31.8kmh average for 111km :) good riding!

Tobz

by Jess Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:20 pm
Yep, Toby's pretty much summed it up there for our group. Steady ride out to the old a1 where 6 of us managed some VERY tidy through and off, averaging about 24mph. (apologies to the 3 we lost during that) re-grouped and a bit knackered after that we slowed it down - picked up Broomwagon for a stint just after the Milby circuit & then we headed through to sherif for a lap of the ten.

No punctures & no mishaps though we got a little split up on the way home. On return I had 70miles on the clock with average moving speed 20mph :D
by timj Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:16 pm
hi all
First training ride of the year for me and it was about spot on.The pace was steady and fairly smooth with a good roll through.good stuff

by DamianE Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:54 pm
Hi, about my fifth ride with you guys now slowly building after a very quiet year since the birth of our daughter. In the first group with Phil but had to dig deep after an ill advised toilet stop during the added loop! Will not be doing that again. Hope to be out most Saturdays but it's going to take forever to get fit with one ride a week!

Damian
Last edited by DamianE on Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by reubenbarrett Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:31 pm
First training ride for me in ages. Out with the first group guided by Phil, thoroughly enjoyed the ride out and the sunshine back into town. Really nice pace for this time of year, looking forward to future rides.

by Broom Wagon Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:32 pm
After an enforced lay-off owing to work, along for the training ride I was somewhat doubtful as to how long I could hang on.

Away in two groups, I went in the first led by Phil and made up of many of the regulars. We rode in a well ordered manner at a briskish pace and providing I kept my turns on the front short I felt quite ok. By Milby, Phil suggested a loop of the old TLI circuit. It was a useful excuse for me to stop for a much needed leak and an energy bar. I then pootled on ahead expecting to be caught before Easingwold, rested I could sneak back into the group and arrive at the top of the drag up to Crayke comfortably in the group.

At the railway bridge on the way to Easingwold I looked back and saw the group approaching, but when they caught me it wasn't Phil’s group but Jess’s. I nipped into the group and settled in for the drag up to Crayke. I’ll bet you’d all motored up the old A1 at some pace and consequently I think there were some tired legs, so it was quite different from riding with the first group, disorganised with one or two stronger riders driving on from the front. It anything whilst I think the pace was a little slower than the earlier group I felt I had to work harder to stay there….interesting…. more effort, less speed…..discuss…

By the end Jess suggested doing a circuit of the flat ten, I was tempted, but opted for an early bath. Door to door it was 70 miles for me and ducking out of the Milby circuit and Jess’s flat 10 was a good idea as having only be able to squeeze the odd hour’s ride in over the last few months I was plodding at 12mph with slight rises having me drop two gears by the time I got home…..still it was all good and I hope to be out next week.

A slight gripe, it was quite dry but come on guys you really should be fitting mudguards by now for the sake of your mates.
Last edited by Broom Wagon on Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Tobzlerone Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:45 pm
In response to the part we we caught you, we tend to just take a minute or so on the front as opposed to constant through and off, so it's not as organised in that sense, but it allows people to still take a turn on the front yet relative to how they feel :)
Also the reason concerning a slower pace yet more work, I think that's a result of a little something called wind ;)

by Jess Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:33 am
I'm with Toby on this - We weren't disorganised as such on the way back, but there were some tired legs, differing levels of fitness & some newer riders, that plus the wind meant the turns on the front were not always consistent because the stronger/fitter riders were helping out those who were struggling a bit

apologies Broomwagon for not giving you the easy tow home you were after.

by Dr Dave Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:55 am
Broomwagon wrote:disorganised with one or two stronger riders driving on from the front

Jess wrote:6 of us managed some VERY tidy through and off, averaging about 24mph. (apologies to the 3 we lost during that)

This is for a November group training ride, yes?

Jess wrote: but there were some tired legs, differing levels of fitness & some newer riders

Not wanting to be awkward (well, perhaps that's not strictly honest ;) ) but isn't the point of these rides (especially in the off-season) to do steady miles as a group? Phil has stated that the assumption is that riders will do any higher intensity stuff at other times. If the stronger riders are beasting the others the rides don't really 'do what it says on the tin'....