Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:16 pm
Forecast looks good for Saturday (but a lot can change between now and then...). The training ride will leave from the square at 9:00am. If there's anything like as many riders as last Saturday we'll split it into two groups. Routes to be decided so just check the previous posting with the route descriptions if you're uncertain where the four alternatives go. Whichever way it'll be about three hours / 55-60 miles and - if you're in my group at least - a steady pace!

by willhub Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:07 pm
I might be out.

by fatsprinter Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:37 pm
What is the route for tomorrow? Helps me plan if I know. Trying to swing some childcare for tomorrow to get out. Anyone want to look after two young children aged 4 and 2, nicknamed mischief and destruction? Only for an hour?

De tijd gaat snel, gebruik hem wel!
Schaarf!!

by PhilBixby Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:05 pm
Sadly I'll be out on the training ride, otherwise...

If we split the group there could well be two rides - I was intending doing either the west or north routes from our choice of four - basic structure of each as per the previous thread on this. I think Jess has put her hand up to take the other one, which may well be the other one of these two.

Hope that helps, though obviously not with the childcare..

by PhilBixby Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:50 pm
Big numbers out again in the square this morning so the training ride took off in two groups, with Jess leading out the young'uns and massed ranks of York Tri Club, leaving a second group comprising most of Clifton's vets squad plus Kit and a couple of others including one newcomer. Early murk cleared away and we set off under blue skies; crisp and chilly, greasy roads but the tail-end of the autumn colours. In short:- lovely.

A really good ride. Nice tidy group riding, a steady pace so we stuck together over the lumpy bits and gradually wound it up a bit on the flat run-in via Bishopwood. About 19.5mph for the main out-of-town bit, bang on 200W overall for me, and just under three hours. Good work, everyone.

Jess, how was your lot?

by willhub Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:17 pm
Gutted I missed this, but with just recovering from a cold I think 65 steady miles yesterday was more than I should have done and too risky.

by Tobzlerone Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:44 pm
"Big numbers out again in the square this morning so the training ride took off in two groups, with Jess leading out the young'uns and massed ranks of York Tri Club"

nice description there :P

8 of us set out in the crisp but beautiful morning, im still unsure what to wear when i set out as the temperature is still a little sketchy, but i judged it pretty well, my Clifton gilet proving a winner!
The hills tended to split the group up abit, but we kept it together as best we could. I believe someone had a puncture about 45km into the ride, the point where you passed us, just out of some town.
Again we picked the speed up a little as we came to Bishopwood circuit thanks to a pleasant tailwind. However just before Stillingfleet Jess had an unfortunate moment of dizzyness following a week off the bike with a cold, Me, Jack and Emma (i think), were confronted by a man on a BMX who regrets selling his "slightly less expensive" road bike to help buy a now "broken moped".
We aggreed. Jess, having recovered, and the others joined us for a steady ride home.

Overall average of 30kmh, looking forward to next week.

cheers

Toby

by Jess Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:27 am
Haha, good report Toby - though my 'dizzy spell' makes me sound like some old victorian maid - pass the smelling salts someone!

Anyway, pretty much as said, good group - strong riding on the front by Toby& Will (and Jack too) and a few newcomers to group riding meant wheels were lost once or twice & the hills got us a bit split up here & there, but we stayed together on the whole.
Emma punctured which is where Phil's group passed us, but no other dramas - quick lap of the Bishopwood circuit was squeezed in on the way home too. Not sure what happened to me - about 8 miles from home I was going ok - legs fine, but head went all swimmy & I couldn't focus. (possibly an extreme form of bonking? in my defence I had been ill all week so maybe not the best idea to ride!)
Anyway, great weather, good company & much more manageable in a smaller group. Happy days.

by Dr Dave Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:03 pm
Jess wrote: - legs fine, but head went all swimmy & I couldn't focus. (possibly an extreme form of bonking?

Extreme Bonking - a new Olympic Event perhaps? ;)

Seriously though, does sound like exercise-induced hypoglycaemia - aka 'the bonk'