Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by fatsprinter Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:12 pm
Rumour has it that Clifton are doing some race training sessions starting soon!!. Any more info? May be looking to return to racing and maybe even looking at joining :o

What is the format? Simon went out on a few last year and said that you did a couple of circuits at some points where if you got dropped you can get back on :x

What are the routes? I have family commitments but miss the racing buzz and need some adrenaline! If I know the routes I can sort myself out for getting there/back when dropped. Circuits are good cos you can just get back on next lap.

For info, Hull Thursday with their ABCC coach organises race training sessions based on laps of a circuit, similar to a handicap event with 3/4 groups of 8ish riders who all work together but try not to drop each other and keep away from the faster groups. Anything like this with Clifton. I do appreciate you are getting very organised nowadays.

http://htrc.co.uk/category/2011-results ... -sessions/

Any info/schedules gratefully received. Looking forward to starting training again.

Please tell me they don't start too fast this time of year. I'm no Winter Warrior. I'd like to be race fit for end of April into May and June for the vets RR Champs at Harworth!!

Cheers in advance

De tijd gaat snel, gebruik hem wel!
Schaarf!!

by PhilBixby Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:14 am
Mornin' Colin! Full marks for enthusiasm, that man!

Clifton's not got quite as organised as the rumours suggest, and certainly not to the extent of Hull Thursday and their work with coach Jim Sampson. We do now have a Level 3 coach within the club but Billy's been focussing on the Go-Ride squad - with impressive results.

Plan this winter is to repeat the approach we took last year (when weather permitted) which broadly comprised:-

- Kicking off with steady 3hr group rides using four varied routes - from flat to rolling - so that riders knew where they were going and could find their way home if anyone got dropped. These were generally 18-20mph average depending on weather/terrain.

- As we headed into the new year we added in a bit of quicker stuff, mainly paceline riding on wider roads, or splitting the ride into two groups to add a bit of competitive element. Average speed wound up to around 21-22mph, but still very much trying to keep the ride together.

- As the first races of the year got closer we did a few sessions based around riding out to a suitable circuit and then doing fast laps in smaller groups; basically trying to get to something like race pace (despite it still being pretty cold). We used Bishopwood and the Wheldrake / Escrick / Thorganby loop.

...and that was it. As always, these rides are set up on the basis that you're doing other stuff (especially more intense stuff) some other time - I'm currently doing about 8-9hrs a week so the Saturday training ride is only a part of it (the remainder being top-secret ex-NASA stuff, of course :wink: ).

It all kicks off on Saturday. How about the southerly route as an opener, since it's the one where it's easiest to keep a group together?

by fatsprinter Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:25 pm
Excellent. May try to tag along if not too intense. Didn't want to go out with a group of winter races who have just found race form and wanted to dish it out in the depths of winter. A recipe to get ill!! Getting older, one has to build things up steadier.

Where do they start and what time? Square at 9am? and what are the routes? Anyone with gpx files of routes so I know where I'm going?

18-20 seems ok for a group unless that is the speed uphill too :cry:

Like the idea of splitting groups and paceline, especially the post Christmas stuff loops. Could pick the groups up as they pass Bish. All sounds good.

Southerly ride first? Where is the route? Again, if I know your are coming anywhere south, I could pick up the ride from Bish, save going in to come out. Every little to help family commitments helps.

Do you post the ride destination on this forum the week/night before??

Are you still "Joe Friel"ing? for your secret NASA stuff? Alas for me its just get out and ride bike whenever possible. Cheers for the info. Looking forward to trying not to get dropped!! :lol:

I hear your kit has improved again too!! :wink: May have to get some.

Schaarf!!

by PhilBixby Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:02 pm
On the evidence of Jess' write up of recent Saturday non-stoppers, there are clearly a few people out there who are holding onto some form at the moment. I'm not one of 'em, and I'm hoping there will be a few others who have taken a post-season break and are starting building their form slowly. As you say, with age comes both the need for a bit more recovery and also the patience and knowledge that you don't need to be flying in November to be at your peak in May.

My secret ex-NASA stuff isn't really secret at all since I'll bore anyone unwise enough to ride next to me with the details, but it's still based on Joe Friel's basic principles - make a plan and stick to it; work on cycles of overload and recovery; shift gradually from extensive to intensive and use intervals for the latter. Like you, Colin, I have limited time - but if you plan, you can make good use of it.

The routes:- (and if anyone wants to suggest new ones then great - as long as they're happy to lead the ride and publicise at least the bare bones in advance so people don't end up lost in the wilds) - these are the ones we used last year:-

East:- The trad training route - York - Malton via the Buttercrambe road, Coneysthorpe, Terrington, then a loop of the Flat Ten circuit, then back to York.

North:- York - Tockwith - Wetherby then north up the A168 to Boroughbridge; Milby, Helperby, Easingwold, Crayke, Brandsby, Whenby, Sheriff, and back to York.

West:- York, Appleton Roebuck, Tadcaster, Bramham, Thorner, Barwick, Aberford, Sherburn, Cawood, and back to York (with a loop of the Bishopwood circuit en route).

South:- York, Elvington, south to Howden, Hemingbrough, Skipwith, Thorganby, Wheldrake, Escrick, Stillingfleet, Naburn, and back to York.

As always, 9am from the square, which means (barring disasters) everyone's back in time for noon or soon after. Mmmm... ...lunch!

by fatsprinter Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:39 pm
Joe Friel periodization principles. Excellent. Sure you can bore me with it if you drop to the back of the group.

Ever done the rolling York, Wighill, Thorpe Arch, Wetherby, Sicklinghall, Kirby Overblow, Spofforth, back chaingang route? You can stick in a loop past the prison for an extension. 2hrs 10 mid summer from my house (2hr 20/30 from the square?) but in winter probably closer to 3 hours. Rolling but no great big hills. Kirby big ringable summer, good for pace line on way back after Spofforth?

Is it 9 o clock prompt? A la VC? or is it 9amish, wait just a few more minutes? Don't mind which as long as I know. Don't like to stand around and get cold.

Cheers again.

Schaarf!!

by Cyan Skymoos Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:02 pm
I prefer to lose the form, hit the re-set button and start again in October, but judging by the Jess write up, and the way the VC/Cycleworks boys disappeared down Bootham on Sunday morning I might be in a minority.

by PhilBixby Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:15 pm
Hey well Darren, when you feel like a change from the Sunday club runs you can come and lend some moderating influence to the training rides. Nine o'clock prompt...