Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by Flying Finn Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:05 pm
Hi folks, I did my first pass in my life! YEAHHH!!!
I went by car to Holmfirth and then with "my" (thousand thanks to Bernard!!!) bike at first the Holm Moss. Still in Holmfirth i asked another rider the way to Holm Moss (even though I had a good plan) but still, and he told me a wrong way!!! I turned in Holmfirth right to a road what is going up and climbed almost 200m, when I asked another rider, who told me that I have go down again to Holmfirth and then the road right (that was what I thought). OK, 30min gone and a climb behind I took the Holm Moss. The weather turned very foggy and wet, and as I get higher the fog became more thick so that I couldn´t see anything. The pass was harder than I thought, allways betwen 10-13%. On the Top I took some pictures and then down. Then to Glossop where it was still foggy and rainy and then the Snake Pass. That was easier than I thought, never more than 8%. I couldn´t see anything, but after the summit (no sign, nothing...) the landscape became really nice. Less clouds and down at the reservoir the sun was again visible.
About 3km after the Reservoir I turned left to a little road, and that was really hard. In the beginning still moderate, but to the end there were very steep up and downs. VERY STEEP, up to 25%. I was fighting with the climbs, but I could ride them all thanks again to Bernards triple;) I used the small gears very often... The weather was again very sunny with a blue sky. Very very beautiful!
At the same time there came hundreds of Road bikers so I asked and they had a charity ride of 100k.
I thought that I am almost back, but on the bigger road again, more climbing. The last downhill to Holmfirth was nice.
So I did 90km with 1860m of climbing. I never did so much meters on one ride in my whole life, but it feels good! Maybe I will do it once more until I am here... ;)
So that´s my resume of this day, full of new things and impressions.
And I had the Clifton CC windjacket on, what gave me perfect protection, especially riding downhill! I behaved very friendly, don´t worry! ;)
No shame to the Clifton CC!
Greetings from the flying Finn, Pavle.
How went your ride today?