Clifton CC Discussion Board

The place to discuss racing and training.

Moderator: Moderators

by james Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:29 am
Hi I've recently moved up to York and am looking to find out when/where the local chain gangs meet up for some mid week training before the season finishes.

Cheers
James

by willhub Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:22 am
Hi.

For Clifton CC Tuesday night chaingang see here aswell as other training rides:

http://www.cliftoncc.org/competition/training

Someone told me today there is one on a Tuesday and Thursday organised by York Cycleworks setting off from their shop at 6pm I believe?

I'm going to try the York Cycleworks one on Tuesday or Thursday, they sound good, got some very fast riders out I was told so sounds like good training keeping up with them.

by Cyan Skymoos Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:29 pm
You won't have a problem keeping up with them Will. You'll be one of the strongest riders there.

by willhub Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:19 pm
I say! those chain gangs are damn good fun, but tough, I think about 15-20ish set off on the York Cycleworks chaingang, by the end when it got cranked up there was only 4 or 5 of use left attempting to chase down Phil Graves.

I just about hung on the back, for most of the time my HR was almost touching 190! What a great week night workout and about 70 miles in.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/107090039

by Cyan Skymoos Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:59 am
You should try the Castleford or Leeds chaingang Will, not too far from Wistow, and harder than the cw bunch in my opinion. The York gangs are all flat lineouts which is ok for a bit of speedwork, but if you get round a west yorks gang with the front group you'll know you've had a workout.

by willhub Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:12 pm
Cyan Skymoos wrote:You should try the Castleford or Leeds chaingang Will, not too far from Wistow, and harder than the cw bunch in my opinion. The York gangs are all flat lineouts which is ok for a bit of speedwork, but if you get round a west yorks gang with the front group you'll know you've had a workout.

Do you ever go on them?

Do you know time/location details?

If you ever go on em mind if I tag along?

Last night only 4 of us remained apparently the guy on the front was 6th in the premier calender I bet he was taking it easy :D

by Cyan Skymoos Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:35 pm
I doubt I'll be out on anymore this year, but I do them all. There is a good winter gang based on Fairburn which starts in Jan if you fancy it. I've seen how hard you ride in winter though Will, and it woudn't do for me to ride with you.

by willhub Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:25 pm
I don't know if I'll ride hard this winter maybe it slows me down.

I found Leeds Chaingang on FB might give it a go but abit put off after pics posted of a crash that happened and the guys bike got snapped in half!

by kl Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:25 pm
willhub wrote:Hi.

For Clifton CC Tuesday night chaingang see here aswell as other training rides:

http://www.cliftoncc.org/competition/training

Someone told me today there is one on a Tuesday and Thursday organised by York Cycleworks setting off from their shop at 6pm I believe?

I'm going to try the York Cycleworks one on Tuesday or Thursday, they sound good, got some very fast riders out I was told so sounds like good training keeping up with them.

Cycleworks have recently swapped their routes round.

Both start from the shop at 6pm.
Tues ride is the slightly easier one, going out E through Gate Helmsley then N to Claxton, Flaxton, Sherriff Hutton, Whenby, Brandsby, Crayke and hell for leather once they hit Easingwold back down the old A19 to York. The first sections are steady ish but the last few miles are really strung out.
Thurs ride is a bit harder I believe and goes out Gate Helmsley then Pocklington direction and back.

Phil Graves often turns up for a laff, as do a few other elites. There's no real hills, just the odd bump in the road.

by willhub Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:36 pm
I might have to try the Thursday ride, I asked around and it seems It's a mixed feeling some say the Tuesday is harder some say the Thursday is

Tuesday was steadier this week but was hard when it got going, I managed to Sprint across to Jamie Sharp and another guy then they put me on the front, you can probably tell what might have happened then, Jamie sprinted off and I had no power to hold on I was already doing 28mph and was about to blow up when we got to the end, so much fun though, it was steady till Sheriff Hutton though.

The first time I did it Jamie Sharp and Phil Graves was out, when it got going Phil disappeared into the distance and what seemed like Jamie in pursuit, I love that part of the ride I'm pushed to my limit of what I can sustain which is 190-192hr